why is firefox dead slow in linux?

sallam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running 1.0.6, compiled from Arch Linux ABS (= i686 cflags with no more special optimizations) using all recommended patches from Mozillazine (but nothing exotic on top), and I can assure you it's both very fast AND stable... ipv6 is disabled.

To be honest, I had a couple of quirks lately, after upgrading to KDE 3.4.2 and gcc 4.0.1 (not speed related), but all I did was recompiling it with gcc 4.0.1 and all are fine, again.

I can't report for Mandy, as I don't use any other Linux distro currently in all my boxes- sorry.

Edited by scarecrow

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet ???  But which FireFox package are we running ? I have had better results installing the one from their website as opposed to the Mozilla-Firefox RPM that came with Mandrake 10.1 or previous.

Running 1.0.6-r3 on Gentoo [i686, march=pentium4, CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops], with router as DNS server. Don't have kernel IPv6 support turned off. No complaints here...

well for me, like I said, it ain't just firefox or any particular distro, it is the OS. I started using epiphany because it was faster than firefox, but still slower than anything in win. The fact that you notice a diff from the rpm could validate the distro thing, as they are all diff....debian being the slowest. I'll go grab a tarball and see....maybe even Deer Park. Anyone try it?

Edited by bvc

you laugh, but you can probably go to any linux forum (I've seen it on 3) and find the same issue....linux and/or firefox...slower than win...

Yeah, bvc, I remember when I was participating in the einstein@home and seti@home projects, there were many posts about this. Many people reported that on identical equipment, the only difference being the OS, the work units processed on Windows were completed significantly faster than those processed on linux. Many people running linux reported that they got improved completion times by doing the processing using wine and the windows versions of the software rather than the linux version. Lots of discussions about differences in compilers and optimizations, was linux giving a more accurate result and thus taking longer, etc etc.

Edited by jboy

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread... for me, Firefox is the same speed as Windows, but Konqueror is dead slow. On a friend's computer, it's the opposite: Firefox is quite slow but Konqueror is pretty fast.