why is firefox dead slow in linux?

sallam

I have a DSL connection, and used to download fast while in windows.

now in linux, even browing pages in firefox takes ages to show up

why is that?

my lan card is rightly configured

someone advised me to go to about: config and filter to: IPV6 and change to 'true'

i did that. pages used to take hours to show up, now it takes minutes..

any chance that it takes seconds? like it does in windows firefox?

i notice linux is way much faster than windows, so why it is not so in web connection?

any suggestions please?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cause for this is mostly a bad dns server. most people experienced that this "slowness" was gone immediately once they changed their default dns-entries to something different. you can do a google search for dns-servers of your service provider and note down the ip adress. then you can add this address to your system by using the mandriva-control-center (mcc) → networking section or by changing the /etc/resolv.conf file as root. as you are new to linux, try first with the mcc.

oh... there is also a topic on this board called "how to speed up firefox". dunno if it is in the networking or tips&trick section. just do a search with the search-tool for "speed firefox".

good luck. :)

You "might" have to disable ipv6, as some network interfaces react curiously when it's enabled (including slowing down to turtle's pace). Use the forum search button, as the "howto" is already here on at least a couple of threads, so no need to repeat it once more...

well I've always said the same thing and people say I'm crazy. It's all browsers...it's the connection. Use the same dns settings as windows and linux is still a lot slower and this goes for dialup as well. Linux web browsing just sucks IMO. I can load pages twice as fast in xp. FTP download is faster in linux though...but guess which we use a lot more. I almost ditched linux because of it. If you find the secret to changing this let us know. I've tried everything, running the most barebones net setup but its still mega slow. Right now I'm in xp because I'm switching back to dialup and linux whipped out a bunch of deps for me to resolve and since I've been broadband for 2 years I have no cd's so I have to go download the pkgs :wall:

I think I'll install fc4 :cheesy:

Edited by bvc

well I've always said the same thing and people say I'm crazy. It's all browsers...it's the connection. Use the same dns settings as windows and linux is still a lot slower and this goes for dialup as well. Linux web browsing just sucks IMO. I can load pages twice as fast in xp. FTP download is faster in linux though...but guess which we use a lot more. I almost ditched linux because of it. If you find the secret to changing this let us know. I've tried everything, running the most barebones net setup but its still mega slow. Right now I'm in xp because I'm switching back to dialup and linux whipped out a bunch of deps for me to resolve and since I've been broadband for 2 years I have no cd's so I have to go download the pkgs :wall:

I think I'll install fc4 :cheesy:

umm... my webbrowsing and download speed is faster in linux than with windows, so i am wondering into which mess you went, bvc. :unsure: and if your providers are slow, i gues they are slow because of inapproriate support for anything different than windows. who knows?

about fedora 4: it is fine, the best distro they have made so far. i think you will like it. although... there are more updates for fc than for ubuntu all the time. after a stripped down install (roughly two and a half weeks after the fc4 release), i had already 124 mb of updated packages for download. this is a bit time consuming with dial up, isn't it? :D

since i have fc4, i find myself working more and more with fc4 and ignoring my ubuntu and mandriva boxes. strange... :juggle:

...people say I'm crazy. It's all browsers...it's the connection.  Use the same dns settings as windows and linux is still a lot slower and this goes for dialup as well.  Linux web browsing just sucks IMO. I can load pages twice as fast in xp.

Uhhh...bvc, I know you know what you're doing, but...you're crazy. I've never heard of this, and never had such a problem. I've used Linux on Road Runner cable, SBC DSL and even ISDN and never had anything but great speed results, whether browsing the Web or up/downloading.

I don't know what else to say except something's just not right.

ok, but there must be a reason why it is so for some and not for others.

maybe those provides make the same mistake in configuration

My current isp is mylinuxisp so that is doubtful as well

umm... my webbrowsing and download speed is faster in linux than with windows, so i am wondering into which mess you went, bvc. :unsure: and if your providers are slow, i gues they are slow because of inapproriate support for anything different than windows. who knows?

about fedora 4: it is fine, the best distro they have made so far. i think you will like it. although... there are more updates for fc than for ubuntu all the time. after a stripped down install (roughly two and a half weeks after the fc4 release), i had already 124 mb of updated packages for download. this is a bit time consuming with dial up, isn't it? :D

since i have fc4, i find myself working more and more with fc4 and ignoring my ubuntu and mandriva boxes.  strange... :juggle:

My current isp is mylinuxisp so that is doubtful as well

cable was roadrunner so again...doubtful....20+distros, 3 isps, 2 computers, 2 dialup modems and 2 cablemodems....so, guess again... Linux webbrowsing sucks ;)

fc4 will replace ubuntu

nah...I download all 3 cd's for ML9.1 on dialup, so 150MB is nothin ;)

Uhhh...bvc, I know you know what you're doing, but...you're crazy.  I've never heard of this, and never had such a problem.  I've used Linux on Road Runner cable, SBC DSL and even ISDN and never had anything but great speed results, whether browsing the Web or up/downloading.

I don't know what else to say except something's just not right.

my cable was roadrunner for 2 years... so again...doubtful....20+distros, 3 isps, 2 computers, 2 dialup modems and 2 cablemodems....so, guess again... Linux webbrowsing sucks ;)

bad network karma

ur probably more right than you think. Too much time and wasted $ on this internet wasteland is the main reason I'm going dialup ;) ($9.99 a month...RR lowered it from $49.99 to $26 at a lower bandwidth about like dsl but...) Screw cyberlife...I want a real life again

maaAAhan this dialup sucks! On mandrake now..

Edited by bvc

I've also tried everything, linux is just slow at loading webpages and i don't know why. I have faster browsing in winxp but i then lose the stability, the nforce drivers are terrible and the network always disconnects, not to mention they limit tcp connections or something so when running torrents it would kill my connection. So although linux is slower it's a hell of a lot more stable and doesn't disconnect every 8 hours, when i use the opera browser it's a lot faster though.

bvc why are you going back to dial up? Dial is evil, have fun uploading your new themes on dial up. :rolleyes: