where is My Computer?

sallam

I don't think you are able to even see MCC without being a root,

but in case you can, launch konsole (alt+F2 => type "konsole")

then type su root. This will log you into root,

then type mcc

and it'll be sure you run mcc as root then.

Edited by solarian

from what I gathered, linux does not expect you to download software and install it yourself, but rather: install software from the library that comes with the install CDs. Great, talking about freedom. Even mr gates allows you to insytall whatever you want. even when you want to upgrade, linux will decide for you what and when to upgrade!!! is that what it really is? is linux some kind of a big prison, or what?

actually, linux does not force you to instal certain software. this is a great misunderstanding! the cds you have give you only a SELECTION of software that is available for linux operating systems. and the software included in these cds is not made by mandriva (they only packed it for their distribution).

e.g. openoffice, firefox, totem, kde, gnome etc are all made by different software developers. maybe this would make it more clear to you: imagine you get a windows cd. with this cd, you get for free(!) e.g. adobe photoshop, illustrator, quark x-press, star office, nero burning, etc. and some games. those products are shipped to you by microsoft but they are still made by adobe and other companies.

overall, there are round about 15 000 packages of software available for linux and YOU decide which you want and which one you don't want. but 15 000 packages do not fit on a cd, this is why you can get all that stuff online. you start the software manager in the mandriva-control-center, select what you want to have, check the box and that's it. the system will take care of the rest.

oh... and if you seek the complete freedom, then you might try to build your own linux one day (when you are able to do it), using linux-from-scratch. :D

things do work differently with linux. you need to accept that. it is no windows clone. but once you grow accustomned to it, you will almost surely accept it - or even love it.

and if you think that e.g. after six months of testing you still don't like it... well, then feel free to stick to what you feel familiar with. nobody will condemn you if you witch back to windows. just give linux a fair chance. ;)

^^I agree. I have been using Linux for just over a month now, when I first started I did have a lot of problems but after a bit of research and a lot of help off this forum, my linux box has never run so smoothly. And as a few people said before, Linux never was, and never will be a windows clone. What would be the fun in using a different OS if it was the same as what you had before?

My first experience with Linux was about five years ago. I bought a book, dabbled with it on some old machines but never really made much use of it. Then I bought a machine with no OS on and it and decided to take the plunge. Installed Mandrake 9.1 and never looked back. Once you get the hang of it, you realize Linux is a beautiful thing. Personally, if Linux cost twice as much as Windows, I'd still be using it. It's rock solid stable, easy to maintain, unbelievably simple to set up software, and runs like a champ! I have a Win2K drive that I use pretty much only for testing web sites for clients on IE and for the occasional Windows-only app. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Linux. Plus, the new Mandriva I've found to be extremely easy to set up, and if you want an easy way to install software, try out the software installer under the system menu (in case no one else mentioned it). As for the Flash plugin for Firefox, you can do that directly through Firefox. A little bar shows up at the top of the screen telling you that you need a plugin. Click the bar, hit install, and you're done! Couldn't be easier.

The new user (any new user) of Linux who has MSWin experience is going to be tainted, and thus have some issues with Linux.

It's not easy for the new user to distinguish between which issues are due to 'learnt behaviour' from another OS - no matter how stupid it may be, and issues due to Linux not being logical, and issues due to Linux doing what the new user unwantedly asked from it - maybe at a point where this new user agreed with something, checked some box during installation or whatnot.

Why have an icon that leads to a filebrowser in ones computer and label it with 'my computer'? I would logically expect this icon to lead to a hardware overview.

Label it with 'home' is not much better though...

On the other hand, I agree that it's silly not to have the documentation installed.

This thread goes to remind us - it takes time and effort to learn Linux and unlearn bad habits.

And then there's some extra stuff. Taking things slow is how to do it.

Might I propose my switching page? It's on my site, and though it's years old, I think most of it still makes perfect sense...