Fedora Core 4 Review

Bloat = Services that are not needed. Applications that are not needed.

Ok, so now it's not the kernel it is services that you have every right to shut off..........

Applications you can either un-install or not install in the first place, ok were getting some were.....

Not to mention the slow start up it suffers from, my archlinux box starts up so fast it's kind of scary and that's with apache, php and mysql too. Fedora isn't a bad distro, it's just heavier than the likes of arch and gentoo.

My main desktop boots in 28 seconds and that is with sata raid/lvm/selinux and well you can see here:

http://65.28.94.10/pub/bootchartd/amd64-fc4-bootchart-1.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing cybr, for the person who wants to try linux, are they going to go through all of this just to have a system that can boot as fast was Windows? No probably not. Now don't get me wrong, Fedora is a good distro for what it is. Test bed for RH, but I would think its really not a good distro for the typical user who might want to switch from MS to Linux.

One thing cybr, for the person who wants to try linux, are they going to go through all of this just to have a system that can boot as fast was Windows? No probably not. Now don't get me wrong, Fedora is a good distro for what it is. Test bed for RH, but I would think its really not a good distro for the typical user who might want to switch from MS to Linux.

I would agree 100% that it isn't for noobies, not saying they can't use it, head over to fedoraforums cause there are noobies but I don't think it is for everyone.

i have installed fc4 without the bootloader.

i would agree 100% that it isn't for noobies, not saying they can't use it, head over to fedoraforums cause there are noobies but I don't think it is for everyone.
i second that. although i started my linux journey with redhat 7.2, and i somehow got it running alongside windows (without even knowing of the possibility of getting help online via forums) i see fedora as a distribution for advanced users. if you are too new to linux you will not know what services are good for and thus you will not know how to optimize your distro. then - of course - people can argue that "linux is slower than windows". but only because they lack some linux-knowlegde.

The easiest way to add a quicker bootup is this (plus disable any services you don't use)

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test...l/msg00416.html

change the chkconfig: line
in /etc/init.d/xfs to 
# chkconfig: 2345 08 97

and also change the chkconfig: line in /etc/init.d/syslog to 
# chkconfig: 2345 07 98

then run 
/sbin/chkconfig xfs on
/sbin/chkconfig syslog on
/sbin/chkconfig --add gdm-early-login
/sbin/chkconfig --add gdm-allow-login
/sbin/chkconfig gdm-early-login on
/sbin/chkconfig gdm-allow-login on
to regenerate the symlinks in /etc/rc5.d

The last thing that needs to be changed is grub.conf.  It should be
modified such that the kernel cmdline has "early-login" in it.

For instance, it might look like this:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1208_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet vga=0x317 early-login

• 3 months later...

I don't think that installing fedora is more difficult than suse or mandriva, which ore often considered to be more beginner-friendly, it always depends on the user, if he is not willing to learn a bit he won't be happy with any os, even not with windows, after all one of the first things I do on every XP-Box after install is to deactivate a lot of unneeded services, so no difference between win and linux

In my opinion, the one area where Mandriva is "better" than Fedora or SUSE is the partitioning. It is easier for newcomers with the draktools, from what I experienced. Most newcomers to Linux that I met were unsure what to do when confronted with Fedoras or SUSES partitioning tools. (Mandrivas tools are very straightforward.) But actually, they didn't know a lot about partitioning in Windows, either. :)

I think the main advantage of mandrivas partitioning-tool is, that it shows not just numbers, which is somewath unintuitive on Fedora and Suse

but one of the really underestimated parts of mandriva is msec (sure nothing for the beginner), but it makes securing your system much easier

about the qualities of urpmi we need not talk again, it's the other shining piece of mandriva

apart from that I think the three distros are mostly equal in ease of use

• 1 month later...

there are few things on here that i agree with and disagree with.

i agree that there are some fc components which are less intuitive. i also agree that fc is more advanced than say mandriva or suse. i don't think yum is quite the tool that urpmi (or apt) can be. but that is also coming from a heavily biased viewpoint of having learned linux on mandrake/mandriva.

i disagree that it's not for beginners. i think as far as menus go, they're very clearly labelled (in KDE at least). one thing i think noobs (not used derrogatively) would benefit from is a straightforward naming of user tools and not having something named afer that particular distro. i appreciate that in fc. concerning the install, i think the package choices during the install might be easier than in mandriva.

as far as the DE goes....i'm running kde 3.5 right now and it's rock solid. the native DE install was a kde 3.4, but 3.5 has presented absolutely no problems and I don't expect such. i've also got fluxbox installed, but haven't so much as even tried it even though i very much enjoy it.

I'm probably going to open a can of worms now, but I'm going to say it anyway.

You have Fedora and Red Hat, one is free, one is commercial. Quote from Red Hat website, of course, we know all this already but:

The Fedora Project is a Red Hat sponsored and community-supported open source project. It is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc. The goal? Work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from free software. Public forum. Open processes. A proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products.

the bit I don't actually like about all this is this.

A proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products.

you might be thinking why? Look at it this way. Fedora is a free release. It's cutting edge, with all the new technology and Red Hat is using Fedora's users as a test bed for any problems with these new technologies. Then, they get introduced into Red Hat, for money to be made using these services.

But, the people who used Fedora to iron out the bugs, etc, etc, what do they get from it all? No free version of Red Hat Linux? Don't get paid? Red Hat use the free community to achieve their business goals to make money without having to have to recruit and pay for their own testing team. That's what I don't agree with.

I have however, downloaded Fedora to have a look at it and see what it's like. So far I like Mandriva and Gentoo and use both no problem. I am also supposed to be using Red Hat sometime in the near future for business use, as they've decided to set on a particular distro that's best for business use, and they wanted a standard, that also had support and all the other niceties.

Sorry if that was a bit :offtopic: :P