mandriva 10.2/limited edition updates?

Michel

Heya,

I'm going to do a summerjob where I probably will be installing mandriva on (a) server(s). I looked at the Mandriva-website, but they don't seem to mention when updates for mandrake 10.2/limited edition will be dropped. I looked at their shop and they don't seem to sell mandrake 10.2 (they seem to sell mandriva limited edition). The place where I will be configuring the server(s) probably won't be buying the product from mandriva.

thanks,

Michel

Edited by Michel

Mandriva2005-LE and Mandrake10.2 are EXACTLY the same thing. Two names for the same thing. So if you want to buy or know about support then check under both names.

Arctic I think the 3years bit is correct from what I have read in the recent past.

John.

Heya,

thanks for the responses. It don't think I will install mandrake 10.2 since I would like to have updates till summer next year ... I will see what they say. Else, another distribution maybe.

thanks for the responses!

Michel

It is like Solarian says. So you don´t need to wait. Anyhow Mandriva2006 is expected to be out at the end of the year and is continually progressing so why are you so concerned about support when that is also in a state of continual progression.

I think you have too much of ¨the way windows does things¨ on your mind. You have to remember that Mandriva is not windows, thank god.

So why don´t you install Mandriva2005-LE/10.2 and start to enjoy the Mandriva world. After all you have MUB here to support you with Mandriva and unlike windows that support is gladly given for free.

Cheers. John.

Heya,

it seems I have to clarify myself a little bit. I'm doing this for a summerjob. I'll try to setup everything and then other people will maintain it normally. They know a little bit about the commandline, but they aren't really linux geeks. So, I would like to have at least updates till summer next year, so that they don't haev to install a new version. I don't know how safe it is to upgrade to a newer mandriva-version (don't think I have tried it myself ... maybe). Anyway, it is nicer if they can simply press the update-button. One server is also not staying at the place where I will be setting it up I believe and I don't know how much the people there know of using linux.

I use archlinux myself and it doesn't have the concept of versions really. The packages are continuously updated. I use the testing-repositories and I don't have much problems. However, I'm not sure if archlinux is a good choice for this project. They also have used mandrake during the last year. Another option I was thinking about was Trustix, but I haven't used it myself.

It's for a server, so I'm not so sure about installing too much packages from cooker ...

Hopes this clarifies it a bit,

thanks for the responses,

Michel

10.2 or 2005LE will definetely have updates till summer next year,

they just released it a few months ago

Heya,

it seems that the updates will be dropped this year. Since it will be used as a server, maybe I only need the base-updates. However, I think a desktop-environment will be used, so I would rather have all the updates till summer next year.

Product Desktop Updates Base Updates

Mandriva Linux LE2005 October 13, 2005 April 13, 2006

http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime

greetings,

Michel

Edited by Michel

humm, I see,

then you should probably better install some other Linux distro, some that others have advised here.

It seems that Mandriva is heavely (too heavely if you ask me) focusing on their next 2006 release.