KDE 3.4.2

Latem

What version of hal does KDE 3.4.x need? I have:

hal-0.4.7-11mdk

libhal0-0.4.7-11mdk

Maybe that affects my USB thingy.

When I installed KDE, I had a main, update, and contrib repos as well, which urpmi --auto-select did use to update everything I have on my system, and resolved dependacies (about 15 in total). I didnt have any plf repos, cuz I've never really used them. I think I used it once before long time ago, to get some codecs or something. If I do urpmi --auto-select now, there is nothing to isntall.

Also on IRC, someone mentioned that these kde.org packages were build for cooker, and not LE2005. I don't know if this is true. If it is, I would have thought twice about installing them; but still they aren't too bad, overall. These are pretty much all the problems I've noticed, in order of severity (according to my opinion and my needs):

1. USB stick not working correcty, as described above.

2. My trash is behaving weird. When I send something to it, sometimes it doesn't "register", and the icon is still the empty trash. If it did work, than using trash deleting the file, or emptying the trash, makes my floppy disk activated, and make the "checking for floppy" sound. I'm still investigating this, and playing around. openning the trash always causes the floppy activation.

3. konsole doesn't have sound. Like it doesn't beep , even though the notification is properly set up for it to play beep on "bell event", and I can test the sound there.

4. Using the big tooltips on taskbar cuse the kicker to behave weird a little, and causes Kopete to crash (with QPixmap::convertToImage at the end of backtrace). When this happens the icons in kicked on the left are empty when u hover over them (when they are suppose to highlight); and big tooltips don't have the icons in them any more. Disabling the big tooltips seems to make kicker behave nice.

Those are all the problems I've encountered. The only 2 ones that bother me are 1 and 2. 3 and 4 aren't all that bad in my opinion. Actually the big tooltips get annoying pretty fast, as cool as they are. But the konsole beeping would be nice.

Cheers,

Latem

Edited by Latem

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i see.

You have installed the kde-3.4.2 rpms from kde.org?

Thesse rpms have the bugs you describe.

And theese rpms does not require plf as requirements.

I would suggest that you use our kde-3.4.2 rpms instead bu t our kde does require plf as requiremnt.

Hi Thac.

Your 3.4 rpms are the ones I installed. Not to be confused with the others used by Latem.

Ran the install exactly as you recommended. I don´t know if the hal thing was referring to me or to Latem but I do have hal installed and the hal-daemon in MCC Services activated at boot.

John.

the last post was reffering to Latem

but i will investigate this and come back with an answer when i relly know what is needed to get the icons added.

the strange thing is that it works perfectly on my fresh install i did to test the upgrade from le2005 to our latest kde-3.4.2.

Have you tested to do a

update-menus -v first as root then as user to clean up menus from old settings

Edited by thac

Thanks Thac.

I haven´t found it necessary to do the menu update thing because everything seems to be AOK in that area and I just did a recheck to make sure.

The only thing that seems to have a little weirdness but is not a difficulty is in K3B-0.12.2 which has a double set of entries in the Tools and No Text! drop down menus. See the screenie as an example.

Cheers. John.

I will try yor clean up suggestion just the same. JB

Hi Thac. Here is a followup.

Ran the menu cleanup but nothing changed so I think all was AOK originally as I thought.

Regarding the menus in k3b-0.12.2. I did a total uninstall of it and also used Find Files to find all remaining files and deleted these as well and rebooted as well to be doubly sure and then did a fresh install of k3b-0.12.2.

I find that ALL the drop down menus in are doubled and not just the two I previously mentioned so it seems to be a problem with K3B itself.

By the way, it is only the two optical drives icons that are missing from the desktop.

Floppy, Xsane, Home and Wastebin are there OK.

Cheers. John.

Hello Thac.

Installed the latest updates for kde3.4.2 and have found that the doubled entrys in the K3B12.2 drop down menus has been corrected. There was a title called No Text which did not seem to make sense and that appears to have been fixed in that it no longer appears

I still have no optical devices icons on my desktop yet i.e. DVD-ROM, DVD-R/W and now also the Floppy icon is missing.

So obviously there iss still more to do in KDE land but I know the hard working team will soon sort it out. Thanks for your and everyones work.

Cheers. John.

Which leads me to my next Questions. Where the heck do I find HAL or hal ???

I have searched on my machine in MCC ..... Packages Removal and I can only find hal-gnome (it is the most upto date version) installed). I do urpmi hal and it says it is installed but I cannot tell if it is referring to the hal-gnome package.

In Main, Updates, Contrib, PLF-free and PLF-nonfree I cannot find a single mention of hal or HAL version0.*.* anything.

Can you suggest just exactly where this hal package might be hiding ???. Darned if I can find it anywhere. I have downloaded the latest tar hal-0.5.3 from freedesktop.org but would prefer to wait for an answer for the rpm solution first, since the hal-dameon is in MCC System Enable Services and is activated. I guess the daemon is created by the hal package in whatever form it exists. I suspect that in Mandriva, it has some other title.

Thanks in advance. John.

Which leads me to my next Questions.    Where the heck do I find HAL or hal ???

HAL is a bundled FreeDesktop module- here's the 0.5.3 source:

http://freedesktop.org/~david/dist/hal-0.5.3.tar.gz

Dunno how easily it compiles for Mandriva, but my distro (Arch Linux) has already issued binaries for it, and to my poor knowledge Fedora has done so as well (have seen 0.5.3 RPM's at rpm.bone. net).

Regards.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks. But I had already downloaded the tar form of hal.

What I cannot understand is that if since hal is so important to kde and mandriva, how come there is no rpms in sight. I cannot believe that would be the case. I feel sure we are missing something somewhere, especially just to get three icons on the desktop again that used to be there in kde3.3.

Thanks for trying though Scarecrow.

Cheers. John.

but there is

[tobbe@mdk10 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep hal

hal-0.4.7-11mdk

libhal0-0.4.7-11mdk

libhal0-devel-0.4.7-11mdk

theese rpms are available in le2005 main urpmi repository

i have done 2 fresh installs last week and the added all urpmi repositorys as described in our site

and then updated all with urpmi --auto-select

in both cases did the desktop icons work

but if you use the kde-3.4.2 from mandriva the automount desktop icons will not work since this function is disabled in official version.

Only to make sure.

You are aware of the fact that the floppy,cd,dvd and any usb unit icons only exist if anything is inserted.= automounted?

Edited by thac

but if you use the kde-3.4.2 from mandriva the automount desktop icons will not work since this function is disabled in official version.

Just wondering how do you know that? and why (if you know) would they do that?

I think that obviously explains why my desktop icons aren't showing up. :o I wander if it also explain why it mounts USB to /mnt/removable1 instead of /mnt/removable

Thanks,

Latem

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there !

I just made the jump to Cooker, after two years using Mandrake/Mandriva (got totally rid of MsWindows after one year of dual-boot), I felt enough at ease to ''live on the edge''. After all, if something goes wrong, I still have my LE-2005 Cds ! :thumbs:

I just upgraded to Kde 3.4.2, and with the help of S0S-Kde and SOS-LE2005, everything was easy, but it seems I have the same problem than Latem here...

Why would they disable Hal and automount in 2006 ? Is this a temporary problem, or are they planing to change that definitly ? I'm asking, because I use my computer to read Dvds, Cds, save on a usb flash drive, download pictures from my Camera, etc. and I would really miss this feature...

So, should I wait for an upgrade, or should I begin to search for a workaround ? :help:

Thanks in advance.

Hibou

Edit : Also, Seems I cannot set a Screensaver no more... that doesn't disturb me too much, but it would be nice. If you have any idea...

Edited by Hibou