KDE 3.4.2

Latem

KDE 3.4.2 was released today.

http://kde.org/info/3.4.2.php

They have Mandriva packages. Anyone try'em out yet? What's the best way to go about upgrading to this?

I am thinking of trying it, but the only times my KDE was upgraded was during a Mandriva/Mandrake upgrade install. That is I've never just upgraded KDE on my own.

It doesn't appear that the mirror can be added to urpmi, so the packages would have to be installed manually I think. Start with kdebase, and then everything else? Maybe you should remove KDE first (and how)?

Latem

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for an upgrade, remove all kde packages from your system first (do this from cli or an xbased windowmanager like icewm), then add the new packages, starting with kdebase then adding the rest.

This is a follow up to Thacs post on the kdm3.4 login problem. I already had a second Mandriva2005-LE set up for experimenting purposes. so I decided to exactly follow his recommended procedure for deleting kdebase-kdm config-file of kde3.3 and updating with the kde3.4 version.

After successfully completing this phase I then did the rest of the kde3.4 packages and am happy to state that it is all now working well with NO logging in problems using kdm of kde3.4.

Thanks Thac. Cheers. John.

thac

post Jul 25 2005, 06:38 PM

Post #257

frequent

Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 771

I have just recently found the cause of the kdm bug making it impossible to login using kdm no keyboard and such.

It is now fixed in latest versions.

It was caused by the fact the upgrading kdebase-kdm-config-file didnt replace the existsing 3.3.x config files.

This bug is present in the official kde-3.4 at the club also.

Since the fix in rpm only works on a fresh upgrade.

So if you have upgraded and have this problem you will have to unistall with

rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm-config-file

as root in console after have sent init 3 to shutdown kde or reboot.

and the reinstall with

urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file

then restart kde with init 5 or reboot.

Thank you Thac.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

for an upgrade, remove all kde packages from your system first (do this from cli or an xbased windowmanager like icewm), then add the new packages, starting with kdebase then adding the rest.

Do you know of an idiots gide anwhere for this, tried it myself last night, got a bit messed up and ended up reinstalling the original packages from install disks....... :oops:

I've been told this could work:

Download all the kde packages from a mirror into a local folder, lets say ~/kde342.

Then as root go to the folder, and do urpmi *. I guess this should upgrade all of your existing kde stuff with the new kde packages. But I am not sure I see how does this manage to install all the packages in the appropriate and correct order. Can anyone who knows more about how urpmi works confirm this?

I haven't tried it yet since I'll need some time to download everything, and get my system ready for the upgrade (back up all my stuff just in case, etc...).

I have a question regarding the kdm bug. Is there a manual way of fixing this. What specific config file does it refer to. Should I just delete it before doing the upgrade, or edit something somewhere?

Thanks,

Latem

Edited by Latem

You misunderstand the purpose of urpmi.

When you use urpmi, it decides the correct order in which the packages are installed. It is an installer program not just a downloader program. You will find that downloading ALL the kde3.4 packages to your hard drive is a waste of time when you only really need to download what you want or need. The only advantage is in the case of reinstalling your complete OS but by the time you may need to do that, there will be even more up to date packages anyhow.

The only way you can successfully do the process of updating kde3.4 is to FOLLOW THE METHOD DESCRIBED BY thac. It is simple to follow. Hell, even I can follow it and it worked without a problem. Please follow the suggestions made by people who are Linux skilled rather than trying your own variations. When you have greater linux knowledge then start trying your own ideas. I still follow directions even after usin linux for the past 5 years and my system is up to date and stable.

John.

I understand what urpmi does in general. I understand that it's a package manager, and it resolves dependancies. By download packages, I meant actually download packages using web browser, wget, or whatever. Sorry maybe I didn't word it best. I'll explain in more detail what I meant, and what I wasnt sure about if it would work or not. Let's pretend hypothetically for a moment that thac's repos did not exist at all, and that the only KDE 3.4.2 packages were from the KDE site. Also let's say I have all other (non-kde) requirements and dependancies on my system. I am thinking I could download all the new KDE 3.4.2 version of packages that I already have, and place the new packages in ~/kde342. Then as root go to that folder, and type urpmi *. My concern is that this could happen: urpmi starts alphabetically, and tries arts package. I don't have the necesarry dependancy (because it needs kde 3.4.2), and urpmi just bails, leaving me to install all the packages manually in the correct order. Or is urpmi smart enough to actually look into the local folder, and see that there are all these other packages there that solve this problem, sort it out and all the dependancies on it's own, and install all the packages on its own. Basically to the user (me) it would look like this local folder was a repos. That was my concern when I said:

But I am not sure I see how does this manage to install all the packages in the appropriate and correct order. Can anyone who knows more about how urpmi works confirm this?

should urpmi * work? What about rpm -Uvh *? This is kinda relevant even with thac's repos. For example if I have a slow connection, I could download all the thac's rpm's at work or school, transfer them with USB stick to my comp, and put them in ~/kde342, and do urpmi * and install them. That is if urpmi * can actually work like I'd like :)

Hope you understand my question.

Latem

Edited by Latem

What I'd recommend is getting Thac's packages. If at work put them on some sort of disk and when you put them on your system set up urpmi local repository (as root urpmi.addmedia local file://<path to rpms>. You can then put whatever rpms you want in that directory and use urpmi at will. It will then pull whatever else it needs from your other sources. It's best to use Thac's and follow his directions, not all rpms work for all systems.

So after a day of messing around, this is what I did. I opted to use the kde.org packages since I had them downloaded already (brought them from work cuz I have a slow connection), and it didn't feel like downlaoding another 250 megs by using thac's or SoS repos.

1. Put all the KDE packages into a local folder (ie. ~/kde-3.4.2).

2. Add it to media with urpmi.addmedia kde /home/name/kde-3.4.2

3. Do urpmi --auto-select

This updated all packages that have a newer version, installing KDE 3.4.2 that's in the local directory, and resolve all dependancies.

I should also mention just so it's here for the record, that urpmi * does not work as I'd like. This appears to install all packages in the directory that you do not have already. So I actually did do this (to try it) before what I did as listed above, and ended up installing KDE 3.4.2 packages, that I didnt have any version of. Because of this, now I have pretty much a complete KDE install. I even had klaptop stuff, but removed it later because it's not a laptop computer. :)

Pretty much everything worked. I didn't have any problem with kdm, and logging in. I did have 1 problem with Kontact, where it couldn't log in to one of my email accounts for some reason. It was giving some authentication error. Changing authentication method from LOGIN, to Clear Text fixed it.

Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. Before, when I put a usb key into usb, it created a desktop icon for it, and mounted it to /mnt/removable. Now it doesnt create a desktop icon. It creates /mnt/removable, and /mnt/removable1. The usb key is mounted to /mnt/removable1. So when I remove the key, /mnt/removable still stays there. Even if I delete that folder, the behaviour is still the same. Both folders are created, key mounted to /mnt/removable1. Any ideas on how to get it to mount to /mnt/removable and to show desktop icon?

Thanks,

Latem

I read how you did this upgrade.

And i must mention that even if you downloaded all rpms in kde dir that is not all that is needed.

If you want to upgrade from alocak dir you will still have to add the needed urpmi repositorys

to make sure you are not missing any needed rquirements.

Add mandrive le2005 main,contrib plf-free and non-free and our own repository.

Then follow the instrucyiuon mentioned here and at our site.

About the missing icons that does not appear it does work here.

Both in my build machine and in the one i just installed to test the latest changes on a fresh install.

So i can only guess that somthing isnt upgraded.

Hello Thac.

I presently have 3.4.2 working in my Mandriva2005-LE and have sorted out the login clean up as well. Everything seems to be running AOK. However My DVD-rom and DVD-Burner icons no longer appear on the desktop as they did earlier. I have checked in KCC and confirmed that appropiate settings are still selected in there and they are. I have checked and I am pretty certain that everything is updated and upgraded that can be done.

Have you any ideas on this point.

Reference the login cleanup...... It seems that some one in kde land has decided to make kdm theme a default regardless of whether you choose not to install it. To get rid of this gross ugly thing you have to actually install the package, go to kde control centre.......services and the kdm themes and go through the routine of removing the theme from the hard drive in there and then finally using MCC to finally uninstall the kdm theme package. I know you can go to some files and change some text but for the inexperienced this is not a good idea.

I thank you for efforts for helping us all get through what have been bad mistakes made by someone in the kde side of things. They WERE NOT of your or your collegues doing. The person or persons concerned have badly let down the kde team.

Cheers. John.