Black screen & kernel panic - install DVD Limited

Guest GED

Hi !

I have downloaded DVD ISO limited edition 2005 [ Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-DVD.i586.iso ]

I boot on the DVD.

I see the boot screen

I press ENTER -> Black screen :furious3:

Reboot.

I try linux noapic.... the same... :furious3:

Reboot.

I try f1 and "text" mode...

Freez :furious3:

Last message :

Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init :unsure:

My hardware is:

HP dx2000 MT (DY925AV)

INtel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz

1 Go Ram

Graphics :

ATI Radeon X300

HD :

2 IDE / 150 Go (One for the tux)

ultra ATA

Anyone has a clue ? It must be quite a simple thing i have not found...

Please help ! :o

GED

Did you do a check sum on the iso after you downloaded it ???.

Did you burn the iso to dvd as an iso or did you unpack it and burn it as a data disc ???.

If you did the latter then you did things wrongly. If you burnt it correctly as an iso then it is possible that the download was corrupted and a check sum would have shown that.

If you did do a check sum and it was correct then the iso may have been corrupted during the burn process. Do another dvd iso burn but do it at the slowest speed possible instead of setting the burn speed at max or auto.

Hope this helps you. A great big welcome to MUB.

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn

I have tried also with a Mandrake 10.1 from an international edition (the blue box). Same freez attitude...

I burn the iso as an iso.

Maybe a chipset problem ?

What's the meaning of this strange message ?

:thanks: for your replies..

And sorry for my poor english.. i'm french and not so good in foreign languages.. ;)

Ged

Try with linux pci=nosort ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...15&pagenumber=2 )

Or, according to google, it could be the HD/DVD setup. Put them on different ide channels (not master HD, slave DVD )

Or it could be bad memory

PS: don't worry about your English. I'm Dutch and make errors all the time. Nobody notices them as far as I can tell. Never had a complaint :cheesy:

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. My system:

AOpen XC Cube EZ482

AMD Athlon 64 3500

Radeon X200 onBoard

1 GB Dual Channel Corsair Memory

SATA HDD

Mandriva LE2005 and RC2 2006 hangs after entering setup. But Knoppix and Ubuntu works fine. Where is the problem with Mandriva?

Edited by sessman

• 1 month later...

Hmm... Just having a similar proble here with a Mandriva 2006 DVD from a Linux Magazine.

Statistics: :cheesy:

I'm a professional Linux Admin, Experiences wit Mandy from 7...8...9..10..10.1...10.2 (05) and now installed this 2006 on 2 Notebooks and one Tower before fromt the same DVD and worked fine (except for LAN problems I'll post in an other thresd).

Now I put a DVD drive and a new 200GB HD in my own PC (never had a DVD drive myself before... :cry: ) and booted the 2006 DVD. Booting works fine, but no option will help. When "loading program into memory", it stops when half finished and says something about "bad sectors" in the log (Alt+F3/4) ...

I'll try some more Options and post the exact error soon...

BTW: I'm now here with Knoppix 4.0CD and it works fine. Of course, it could be a DVD Problem (as this is my only DVD :-( ) or trouble with the new hdd... Or: The DVD got a scratch after the other installs... Hmmm... As I said: I'll try and post...

If any of you know anything, please help :-)

Hardware: see sig (Everything quite old and works fine since 9.2 ... up to 10.2)

New Hardware: MAxtor 200Gig Hdd, AOpen DVD-RW, everything standard.

Thanks for reading my heap of letters.

Ciao,

Panic.