Need help installing my Lexmark [solved]

RUMPLE4SKIN

The files available are .rpm.gz. How would that be installed?

Note that on the same page where you would download that .rpm.gz, there is a separate link to download the UNIX Driver Guide (it's a nice user guide, ug.pdf). Complete instructions are in there. Use the instructions for a RedHat install (the Mandriva packaging system, which is based on rpm, derives from RedHat).

Note that you first have to use the gunzip utility to uncompress the gzipped file. Then you can install it as a regular rpm, using the instructions given in the User Guide. Basically, your commands are:

gunzip <a_filename>.rpm.gz

rpm -ivh <a_filename>.rpm (do this as the root user)

But read the manual for the full procedure, as well as other valuable information about using the printer.

jboy,

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

That looks like it's going to actually work for me (but I'm doing so maybe not). There is something I do not understand and was hoping you'd clarify it for me. Before I install it wants me to

Set up an administrative user group.

During the installation of Lexmark Print Drivers, you will be asked if you want to change the

administrative user group for Lexmark Print Drivers. The default administrative group on all

systems except AIX is bin. The default administrative group on AIX is printq.

If you have an administrative group on your host, you might want to use that group as the

Lexmark Print Drivers administrative group. Non-administrative users cannot add or remove

printer queues. See Change an administrative group name for more information.

I'm going to try googling it, but if that doesn't work out, I hope you or anyone could help me with that.

Thanks a million

Sorry, I should have mentioned something about that.

Assuming you're the only person who uses the machine that you want to do administrative tasks, you could ignore that administrative user thing and simply become the root user whenever you need to administer anything for the printer. It would typically apply for the situation where you have multiple users set up who log onto the machine locally or over a network and you only want certain ones to administer the printer.

What they are saying is that users in group bin would have administrative rights. By default, when a user is setup they are not in group bin. Of course, the root user could do any administrative task as well.

To change what groups users are in can be done through MCC -> System -> Add, remove or change users. But unless you have the multiple user scenario, I'd suggest you just become root when you need to.

jboy,

I went through the documentsation layed out for me on that PDF. Downloaded the file into the /tmp directory, unzipped and ran the RPM and finally ran the final script. It asked me question suck as paper type etc, even confirmed a successful install. But it still won't print, in fact it doesn't even show what I installed as installed, it shows PostScript/default.

Not sure what happened here, please advise

Thank you

Edited by RUMPLE4SKIN