another problem

SuperDoyle

ok i finally got 2005 to install.. all good i was happy atleast i thought i was. anyway after i boot 2005

i brings me to the prompt. i done startx in failsafe, didnt work. when i boot in regular mode it asks me for login i put my login in and says incorrect.. what am i doin wrong here

Moved to "Installing Mandriva". Yves, moderator.

How did you install? It sounds like you had problems in the installation. Did you not choose graphical boot? Did you set up a regular user on installation? You will need to give us more informatin on how you did your installation and what your system is like.

i done a text installation cause graphical locks up at the boot loader. after the files was installed and etc. it asked for a root pw it asked for a new users i filled in the info clicked next after that, far as the installation there was no errors during it i made kde as my default desktop. this is like my 8th time trying to install with no luck

specs

466 mhz celeron

128mb ram

15gb hard drive

the reason is simple: you don't have enough ram for running kde. either you need to upgrade your ram to at least 190 mb or use lighter desktops like icewm, fluxbox, XFCE, rox or windowmaker.

a good alternative is running e.g. icewm with rox-filer as filemanager or (my tip!) XFCE4.

I think in a number of places, it is mentioned that Mandriva 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 require a minimum of 256mb for a normal install. So yes you will need to do a cut down install and also use a smaller desktop.

Since memory is so cheap nowdays, why not go to 256 or 512mb and do a normal install then you can try out ALL the setup variations to see what suits you the most ???.

Cheers. John.

i put my login in and says incorrect.. what am i doin wrong here

That would be something you get when you mistype your login. I would double check what my logins are and verify whether the caps lock is on/off. Remember they are case sensitive.

Arne, I am willing to bet you are not using the gnome or kde desktops as Arctic and I and lots of others are.

So our recommendation still stands and it is also the recommendation by Mandriva if I remember correctly.

John.

Hello Guys,

Yes I run kde under mdk 10.1 on my old thinkpad 600. I didn't install gnome, developer, game or open office software. My pc speck is at the bottom of this reply.

I have reinstalled 10.1 many times since I am in learning mode and every time it works nice.

I agree that more RAM is better but I just want to mention that 10.1 with KDE works nice on my 128Mb RAM and thats a fact.

:D

sorry i havent been able to respond sooner my ram chip went out on my other puter so i'm stuck on windowz till i get a new ram chip for it

also on my last attempt to install i got a error of libpam on the text install..

Thanks for the help :D

Edited by SuperDoyle

I have run KDE with just 128M of RAM using a Slackware clone (Vector Linux SOHO 5.0.1), and while it WAS running the experience wasn't terribly nice. So yes, 128M is not enough for running KDE, use either Fluxbox if you want just a decent window manager, or XFCE4 if you rather want a KDE/Gnome like desktop environment...

Fluxbox is a very nice and good looking window manager. I use it a lot and it eats just about 1mb of RAM or so.

I use it mostly when doing some heavy graphical work when I need all the system resources I can get.

Edited by solarian