Easy way to configure multimedia keys in KDE 3.1!

Guest bradenm

Guest bradenm

Wow! I've just discovered a really easy way to get those multimedia keys working thanks to the new KDE 3.1.

Here's what you do:

1) First, disable any xmodmap scripts or whatever that you had from my previous tutorial. (But don't delete them, you may still need them.)

2) Next, open the KDE Control Center, and go to Regional & Accessibility : Keyboard Layout.

3)Check the box labelled "Enable keyboard layouts", then under "keyboard model", choose the one that's closest to your keyboard. If your exact model isn't there, play around until you find one that works.

4)Dont forget to click apply!

5)Now, open KMenuEdit (Menu : Settings : Menu Editor), and find your favorite application, for instance KMail.

6)Click on the box in the botton right beside "Current shortcut key", then press the multimedia key you want to use. Then press apply.

• 1 month later...

For your information, I have created (well... adapted) a custom keyboard map, for Logitech Standard Deluxe (or something like that), a keyboard with alternate functions for each Fx key, as well as a top row of keys among which are User, Mail, ???, ???, ???, Vol Down/Up (a round thing), Media change, Home, ???, Help...

Soon (I hope so) on my web site.

As for volume, my solution is:

+ : aumix -v+5

- : aumix -v-5

Yves.

Guest c_m_f

where can i get to these key maps because i know my keyboard is detected (well the volume nob, because when i assign a shortcut to a prog and turn the button it detects a signal) so how then?

• 2 months later...
Guest Vermyndax

Hi there...

Trying to set this up under MDK91... when I ran "kmenuedit" I got MenuDrake, and there was nothing anywhere for keyboard shortcuts :(

Anyone else got this working in mdk91?

Well, I hate to spoil the fun of all you tweakers ;) , but I found a program on freshmeat.net that does just that: making use of your multimedia keys.

Go to http://www.freshmeat.net/ , search for the program 'ACME', then unpack and run it.

I got most of my keys working, except the 'stop/pause/play' buttons under XMMS. I figure those keys will only work in KDE and not in any programs running on top...

Darkelve

Guest Vermyndax

Looks like that ACME program is actually incorporated into GNOME's CVS now. Unfortunately, I have to use KDE and I'm still looking for a solution to get my extra keys and MX500 mouse buttons to work.

Unfortunately, I have to use KDE and I'm still looking for a solution to get my extra keys and MX500 mouse buttons to work.

Strange, I use KDE myself and I got it working... save for a few keys, and I think that has more to do with the difference between Desktop Manager and Applications than anything else.

Guest NSL1212

Thanks, bradenm.

I was able to setup some keyboard shortuct for my Logitech Cordless iTouch keyboard in Mandrake 9.1 by following your instruction. The only twist was by typing /usr/bin/kmenuedit in K Menu --> Run Command in order to bring up KMenu Editor.