Lock-ups

WoMBaT

I turned off HT and still the computer locks up. What can I check or do to see what is causing the lockup. I have pretty much eliminated sound and HT, which leaves OpenGL I would think. That seems fine, though because OpenGL screensavers with work all night long with no lockups.

Anyone know where and what to check to see what causes a COMPLETE lockup? There is no option except to hold the power button for 4 or more seconds and shut the machine down.

WoMBaT

Ok, another suggestion: if you are plugging your mouse into a USB port, try using an adapter to plug it into a PS/2 port (if you have one).

Also take a look through your logs for the last entry before your box freezes, that will hopefully give you a clue... also keeping note of this every time might reveal a pattern.

Merged.  ;)

Thank you :) spinynorman.

I did change the mouse to psaux in the xorg.conf and still have the lockup.

I will try the adapter and see if that is the solution tonight. Also, how do you look at the logs and where are they located. Is there any specific log I should be looking at and anything specific in it?

WoMBaT

( :wall: I'm such a noob...)

I'm totally FUBAR now. I've tried so much stuff I can't remember what's what. :help:

I disabled the sound service in MCC, closed the panel volume control after turning off system sounds and event sounds. Rebooted and loaded Neverwinter Nights. Turned all sound down to zero and played for a LONG time with no lockup!! Re-enabled the sound service and then turned up the sound in the game. No sound still (weird). Did a reboot, started the game and after about 15 minutes it locked up!

So, DEFINITELY a sound issue; I think. Now what do I do to isolate it and fix it? Come guys and gals help me out.

At this point, only thing I can think of is to launch a shell and then;

su -

<root password>

alsaconf

reboot

Hopefully this will detect your sound card and configure it properly. ;-)

Hope this helps and as always your milage may vary. ;)

At this point, only thing I can think of is to launch a shell and then;

su -

<root password>

alsaconf

reboot

That keeps sound working; but this damn game STILL locks up soon after running. The sound chip is an AC'97 Realtek ALC650. It is using the intel8x0 by default. None of the logs have anything that looks related to the lockup because it is a TOTAL lock up. Nothing responds except the power button. I erased the contents of several logs; restarted the computer; started the game; locked up; and rebooted and looked at the logs...nothing that looks suspicious. Next?

WoMBaT

Next would be _either_ updating your kernel version to get the latest version of the ALSA driver - _or_ downloading the latest ALSA driver kernel patch and updating your driver.

Next, make sure you have the latest version of alsa-utils AND the SDL libraries that NWN relies on.

Once you have all of these things, rerun alsaconf and hope for the best.

There are posts all over this board and the net on updating your kernel - and it is made even easier by the fact that Mandrakes patchy kernel won't require you to do any compiling - although, I would reccommend compiling your own vanilla kernel for best results - that's just me ;)