Should I install mandriva 10.2 on 466Mhz celeron?

Guest aikon_linux

Guest aikon_linux

Sorry to bother you but I need to know if someone has tried installing Mandriva 2005 limited edition (3 CD) on a system like mine's : Intel Celeron 466Mhz, 256MB RAM, GeForce 2MX 32 MB, 80GB HD WD. Is it worth trying to install it or I would be totally disappointed afterwards because of a slow responding system?

That's all, I'd like to know your opinions before starting the installation. Thanks in advance!

welcome aboard :)

there is no major problem with the computer specs you listed. i guess it will run fine. you only need to remember certain things:

both gnome and kde love ram. you should set up a 512 mb /swap partition at the first free space on the hdd, then add the /root partition and finally the /home partition. thus it will run reasonably fast.

when you install mandy, think of what stuff you need and which stuff you don't need. maybe you don't want to use kde and/or gnome and prefer a lightweight solution like windowmaker, icewm or fluxbox that does not eat up as much ram. the less "bulk" you carry around with you, the faster your system will be (in theory).

if you find your system to be too slow for your tastes, you can change this a bit by e.g stopping unnecessary services, prelinking and other techniques. if you need help on those things, just ask us. :)

LE will install fine on your system. The only issues there might be are with display managers, but even there you should be fine with all as most of the time ram is the limiting factor.

It all depends how much eye-candy you want. KDE might run a bit slow if you want it to do lots of fancy things. Gnome is generally lighter so might be a good first choice. If you want a very fast display manager, go with Icewm - a bit of a learning curve, but plenty of documentation and you can always ask about stuff here. Icewm has fewer bells and whistles, but you can get some very funky themes for it.

Go for it, and fiddle if it doesn't do what you want it to do.

i have a Intel Celeron 466Mhz, 128MB RAM and have burned all the 2005 iso's to disk but i cant get it to install. so for now i have to stay with 10.1 official

could you specify where the install hangs/which problems you encounter? maybe we can get it running in a hurry. ;)

I'm running 2005 on two systems: a 533MHz PIII with 512MB ram and 700MHz Athlon with 256 Mb ram. Both run quite well in KDE, but as you wuld expect the 512 is snappier. If you can get another 256 ram you will be fine, but if not you should have no problems.

Guest aikon_linux

Thanks a lot all of you! I am very happy to join the linux community and see how active and helpful to the newbies like me is. As soon as I finish with the installation of Mandriva 2005 SE I'll let you know the results and should any problem come up I will have to ask you again a few things. Thanks again!!

Guest aikon_linux

I just want to say that everything is OK with Mandriva Linux 2005 limited edition installed on both my computers: an Intel Celeron 466Mhz,256MB RAM,40 GB HDD and an AMD Sempron 2400+,1GB RAM,80GB HDD. Some minors problems that are due to the fact that I am new to linux were solved with a little search in Internet with google. Thanks again.

A thank you to you for also letting us know how you went. Unfortunately too often we do not get a reply as to whether we have helped or hindered (joke).

As already said, welcome to MUB.

Cheers. John.