Where has Mandrake gone?

Urza9814

What has happened to the good old Mandrake? You know, the one that WORKED!

9.2 ran. It ran PERFECTLY. I never had a problem not caused by me, and when I did, I posted here and you guys fixed it up in a few hours.

10.1 started OK, but then Gaim got screwy...all the IM protocols disappeared. I tried a urpmi --update, failed. Urpmi --force, failed. Uninstall worked, but then I couldn't reinstall it. I also had to reconfigure my mouse every time I booted up. Both my logitech USB mouse, and my Micro innovations PS/2 mouse, and my compaq PS/2 mouse. The compaq one isn't even wireless! IT'S A PS/2 MOUSE WITH A WHEEL! NOTHING ELSE! HOW MUCH MORE SIMPLE CAN YOU GET! I can give you a list of OSes with which all of those worked. Windoze 98 and XP, home and pro. Syllable. Morphix. Solaris. BSD. Mandrake 9.2. Etc... Yet 10.1 can't seem to set it up right. I reformatted and reinstalled several times, and ended up with the exact same problems. So finally, I decide that as much as I hate the name Mandriva, I'll give 2005 LE a try. I install it, have to configure the mouse at the end of the install, but it seems to work. I boot up, everything's ok...about 2 minutes later it freezes. I reboot, login, about 3 minutes later the screen goes black and it logs me out. Login again, same thing. Try once more, it freezes again. Yea, I never did ask for help with that, but I haven't gotten a solution ANYWHERE that's fixed any of my problems since 10.1, and this kind of thing just shouldn't happen! Even windoze has never done anything like this.

Screw it. As soon as I get it downloaded I'm switching to Libranet. As much as I love Mandrake's features, it's just not worth it.

I know, this isn't really the place to be complaining about this...but I gotta post it somewhere...and now you know why I haven't been here in a while (if anyone noticed)...I gave up on Mandrake for a while because of 10.1, and my mom constantly yelling at me for losing her stuff while trying to fix it...now I got my own comp, but I still can't fix it.

I like DebianPure. Ialso liked Libranet. but they are very stable and won't be using the latest stuff. I have found 2005le to be quite good. Sorry to hear about your mess. It's always fun with family, isn't it! :wall:

this really sounds like pure frustration. i wonder why even a simple ps2 mouse won't work with your copy of mandriva/mandrake. either you have a rare combination of mobo + mouse+ mandy or you are simply unlucky.

and welcome to the debian world. :)

Is Libranet debian based? If so, cool, if not, there's no way I'm going with Debian...last time I tried I couldn't get the installer figured out :P Might have to give it another shot though...

I tried Ubuntu too, but that install failed totally for some reason...

Yes, LE2005 seems to be a lot more stable and has some newer versions of things than 10.1. I switched to it from 10.1 and my version problems seem to be okay, I like it. You might try that, but you might not :). Debian's nice too.

The only things i never liked about mandrake are it's generally bad handling of removable usb memory sticks or cameras and the weird library and header locations. Often programs never compile without a lot of effort(programs that are generally fine in fedora, if only i didn't hate using fedora).

Those two issues are the only real issues i have with mandrake now and in the past, but i am still using 10.1 so the first issue may be finally resolved?, i am certain the second issue is not.