Mozilla/Firefox Scrolling Problem in Mandriva LE

sparrish

Hi, I just upgraded Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva LE 2005. All went well except for one very weird, but frustrating issue. The scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't seem to cooperate with most of my software. The wheel works, but doesn't do what it should. The issue is most noticeable in Firefox and Mozilla. Instead of scrolling the page, it moves back and forward through the session pages. I checked about:config, and it is set properly. I also tried uninstalling both Firefox and Mozilla, deleting the whole .mozilla directory, then re-installing Firefox, and it is still doing it. I'm also unable to scroll in Thunderbird, and in other windows (i.e. Konqueror, etc.), I have to mouse over the scroll bar for it to work like it should (although I can't recall if it was like that before the upgrade). My mouse is a standard, run-of-the-mill PS/2 Microsoft Wheelmouse, and I checked the driver and all looks well. Like I said, the wheel works, but doesn't do what it should, and I'm pretty well stumped. Anybody have any suggestions or have seen this before? I know it seems like a minute issue, but it is really frustrating and I'm not sure what to do, lol. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and I'm sure someone else might run into this too.

Edited by sparrish

Thanks for replying, this has had me boggled for days. :D Here's the relevant bit from xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

That's the only pointing device I have set up.

I am in mozilla. Although you checked about:config, did you see that the settings are correct in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Mouse Wheel? Just in case.

I am in mozilla.  Although you checked about:config, did you see that the settings are correct in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Mouse Wheel?  Just in case.

I removed Mozilla, so I'm using Firefox 1.0.6. In my Preferences>Advanced, the only options pertaining to the mouse are AutoScrolling and SmoothScrolling, and toggling those made no difference. Also, since I've been checking in other programs, it doesn't seem to be working properly in those either, so I'm guessing it's in the mouse config itself, although my experience with editing the xorg.conf file is a bit limited.

I've got a Microsoft wheel mouse, ps/2 connected, that is working with the wheel OK. That part of my xorg.conf looks like:

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Still doing the same thing. Should have mentioned that I'm using KDE 3.3. I tried installing GNOME and booted into that, still the exact same behavior. The only place it seems to work properly is in the system tray (i.e. Volume, Clock, Pager, etc.). It definitely looks like a config file issue, as it isn't limited to KDE, and it doesn't work as it should in programs other than Mozilla. This is definitely weird.

Have you tried downloading all the current updates ???. I have ocassionally had a similar problem from time to time, usually after doing some updates, then at a later time doing some more updates and the problem corrected itself. Weird.

Cheers. John.

Have you tried downloading all the current updates ???. I have ocassionally had a similar problem from time to time, usually after doing some updates, then at a later time doing some more updates and the problem corrected itself.  Weird.

Cheers.                            John.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I was thinking the same thing, could have been a bug that had already been patched. I'm still confused, lol.

Hey, that did the trick! The strangest part is that it set my xorg.conf file to the exact same settings that rolf posted. Didn't work when I hand-edited it, but it works great after using HardDrake. Go figure. :D Anyway, thanks for the help everybody. Working great now.