Firefox-DNS problem [solved]

Crashdamage

Quite a while back I installed the norlug site's rpm for Firefox 'mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-1.norlug'. All has been working fine, but I wanted to update the version to a later, more secure one. A later norlug version is not or ever will be available, since the norlug folks are not supporting Mandrake/Mandriva anymore.

That's really no big deal, but the problem is that now if I uninstall that version and install any other version or rpm of Firefox, and I've tried several, Firefox picks up all my settings, etc. and works ok except it will not do DNS resolution. It will only find a website if I enter the IP. Now, I've never had any problem with Road Runner's DNS servers before, and other browsers still work ok, but just to be sure I tried using some free public DNS servers, like MIT and a couple of others. No help.

So it seems that the norlug rpm I've been using has done something to my setup, but I can't find what and I'm a little lost on how to go about fixing this. I'm open to suggestions...thanks.

Yes, in desperation, I've done 'about:config' and changed the IPV6 setting - no difference. Google has been no help.

I thought maybe somehow the norlug Firefox rpm borked my /etc/resolv.config, but that doesn't make sense, and any other browser uses the same /etc/resolv.conf and they all work fine. But to be sure, I fooled around some more, including trying other DNS servers again. My /etc/resolv.config started out as:

search kc.rr.com

nameserver 24.94.165.25

nameserver 24.94.13.113

After some flailing around with various configurations, I've just left it as:

search crashdamage.net

# search kc.rr.com

nameserver 24.94.165.25

nameserver 24.94.163.113

nameserver 24.94.165.132

Which actually is not quite correct. There should be no search of the internal network, of course. But it makes no difference, the Road Runner nameserver IPs are still there. And every browser I try still uses them and works fine - Links, Opera, Konqueror, whatever - except Firefox.

Just for grins, I tried going here:

http://seerofsouls.com/rpm.html

...and added that source to urpmi, then urpmi'ed mozilla-firefox, which installed:

mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586.rpm

...but still had the exact same problem - no DNS resolution, have to enter an IP. Uninstalled that, reinstalled:

mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-1.norlug.i586.rpm

...and all is well again.

AAAACK!!! This is NUTS! Has me stumped...just makes no sense.

Edited by Crashdamage

Fixed! I posted this problem on Usenet in alt.os.linux.mandrake and Toby replied saying he had the same problem and found through a Google groups search he needed to install mozilla-firefox-devel to get DNS resolution. So...

# urpmi -v mozilla-firefox-devel
(snip)
To satisfy dependencies, the following 7 packages are going to be installed (68 MB):
libnspr4-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
libnspr4-devel-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
libnss3-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
libnss3-devel-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
mozilla-1.7.8-SoS.mdk.i586
mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
mozilla-firefox-devel-1.0.6-1.SoS.i586
Is this OK? (Y/n) y

I now have Firefox 1.0.6-1 installed and working perfectly. I'm using it to make this post. Thanks to Toby and this can be marked solved.

Marked the thread Solved - Artificial Intelligence