Mandrake MNF - Spoofing MAC address - How?

Guest gooz

I have tried to install MNF but encountered a lot of problems, ao.:

First I could not login as root on the MNF box. Re-install with a user that is allowed to SU. Login as user and SU than.

The webadmin needs only the LAST byte of the DHCP server range. Entering two whole IP addresses craches the DHCP server. This is not very clear explained.

Also the webadmin did not found my ISA NE2000 card. I logged in on the MNF box and installed with draknet. The the webadmin detected the card. Manual installation with webadmin did not work because the IO and IRQ were not properly set by webadmin.

I solved that all....pffff..

Now I encountered a new problem. My ISP needs the MAC address of my original NIC, but that NIC does not fit in my MNF box.

Therefore I need to spoof the MAC address of the original card.

I tried to enter the MAC address after "Eth1Mac=" in

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/draknet_conf but that does not work.

How can I spoof the MAC address??

PS. Is more people encounter such a lot of problems, it is not very good for the image of Mandrake and for the product. I think the product is nice but the support is bad......

I have tried to install MNF but encountered a lot of problems, ao.:

First I could not login as root on the MNF box. Re-install with a user that is allowed to SU. Login as user and SU than.

The webadmin needs only the LAST byte of the DHCP server range. Entering two whole IP addresses craches the DHCP server. This is not very clear explained.

Also the webadmin did not found my ISA NE2000 card. I logged in on the MNF box and installed with draknet. The the webadmin detected the card. Manual installation with webadmin did not work because the IO and IRQ were not properly set by webadmin.

I solved that all....pffff..

Now I encountered a new problem. My ISP needs the MAC address of my original NIC, but that NIC does not fit in my MNF box.

Therefore I need to spoof the MAC address of the original card.

I tried to enter the MAC address after "Eth1Mac=" in 

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/draknet_conf but that does not work.

How can I spoof the MAC address??

PS. Is more people encounter such a lot of problems, it is not very good for the image of Mandrake and for the product. I think the product is nice but the support is bad......

a few notes:

1. Root should NOT be able to logon ... EVER !!!! always log on as user first, then su - root, and if you're like me you will have a wheel group, where only people in that group can su -

2. read the MNF docs ..... its says it support PCI NIC ....if you get your ISA going it will probably not work the next time you reboot the firewall

3. Your ISP does NOT need the MAC address of your old card ... your ISP needs to update their ARP cache

arp -an

should give you a list of all the netword cards that can be seen from your network.

as far as I know .... MAC addresses can't be spoofed .... I would rather just ring up the ISP and yell at them :twisted:

I run proxy ARP here at home, and all you need to do is update the cache .... (read: restart the gateway iptables)

Dear Paul,

Thanx for the response. I have some comments on your notes:

1. On all other Linux versions I could log on as root. I know that it is less safe, but MNF does not allow it at all.

2. I knowthat MNF supprts PCI NIC's but my MNF box does not have them. Thats why I need to use the ISA. The ISA works: with ifconfig fw.... and with the LAN side. The ISA NIC is not the problem.

3. My ISP can accept a new MAC address, but changing it and changing BACK (!) will cost days or even weeks. I had that experience with my laptop some year ago. It is a louse ISP, but the only one which offers cable in my city.

At last: I am spoofing the MAC address on my FreeSCO router for two years and that works very good. I just want to try MNF for the IDS capabilities.

Thanks anyhow!

Dear Paul,

Thanx for the response. I have some comments on your notes:

1. On all other Linux versions I could log on as root. I know that it is less safe, but MNF does not allow it at all.

2. I knowthat MNF supprts PCI NIC's but my MNF box does not have them. Thats why I need to use the ISA. The ISA works: with ifconfig fw.... and with the LAN side. The ISA NIC is  not the problem.

3. My ISP can accept a new MAC address, but changing it and changing BACK (!) will cost days or even weeks. I had that experience with my laptop some year ago. It is a louse ISP, but the only one which offers cable in my city.

At last: I am spoofing the MAC address on my FreeSCO router for two years and that works very good. I just want to try MNF for the IDS capabilities.

Thanks anyhow!

1. from /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin no

change this and you will be able to logon as root

2. is the ifcfg for the ISA saved ??? coz when you reboot you'll have to do it again won't you?

3. Yes you're right ... it will take a while (even days) for the arp cache to update .... bummer :-(

3.5 ..... YOU CAN SPOOF MAC ADDRESSES ?????? .... I have some reading to do today :roll: to find out how :wink:

whoops ...

from /etc/securetty

tty1

tty2

tty3

tty4

tty5

tty6

vc/1

vc/2

vc/3

vc/4

vc/5

vc/6

this is a list of the consoles that root can logon through .... if you delete these, root won't be able to logon directly.

try adding tty1 into /etc/securetty then you should be able to login from one tty console

MAC spoofing in FreeSCO (0.2.7) is easy:

Add the line

"ifconfig ethx hw ether yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy"

just after "EOF" in the

"rc_net" file in "/mnt/router/rc/rc_net".

Where x is the NIC to spoof and yy is the to spoof MAC address.

In FreeSCO the NIC are bringed up after the EOF so the spoof is done before that.

I tried to do this in MNF but the ifcfg's are overwritten by a "template". I suspect that changes in the "templates" will be processed correctly, but I can find these "templates".... That's the problem.

Guest HaloScan

Hmm. I also thought that MAC addresses couldn't be spoofed since they were hardcoded into the hardware itself--but I guess I'm wrong. If you find a solution to spoofing the MAC in Mandrake, please share here. :)

I found a work-around:

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts there is a file ifcfg-eth1 where I added the line

MACADDR=00:00:00:xx:yy:zz

just below IPADDR.

00:00:00:xx:yy:zz is the MAC address that I needed.

This works but when changing some (various!) things in the webadmin, the file is overwritten. Then I have to change it back again manually.

I don't know yet from which template ifcfg-eth1 is generated. If I knew that, the manual change must be unneeded. I think.....

• 2 months later...