Wine freezes PC

Guest matheusoc

Guest matheusoc

Well, I'm having probleman with wine under Mandrake 10.1 . Ihave installed the last version of wine (.rpm package) and when I start ANY win .exe my PC freezes totaly, with the wine that comes with Mandrake freezes too. I have no idea why this happens =/

any idea ??

Last version of wine is not always the best... for example the author of winetools still recommends version 20041019.

I'm not using the last version either, as it seems that Internet Sexploiter installation (plus a couple more things) are broken. But I have good luck with a mid-June CVS snapshot with directx patches.

That said, "what" freezes? The windows app window, or X/ (keyboard, mouse...)?

Do you use the latest wine from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=80066 or not?

Edited by scarecrow

Guest matheusoc

Freezes de X, the mouse and keybord, so I can do nothing but restart the PC =/

I use the last wine I found at winehq.com

I'll try the 20041019 but I don't think it will work because the version that comes with MDK doesn't work too

I am having the same problem to. Any time i start wine whether it be double clicking the .exe or from terminal (within an X session) my screen goes black and no amoutn of key presses will get my desktop back. the keyboard does still work as if i press ctrl + alt + backspace it turns my pc off (which i hate those key combinations doing that.. but that should be a different post).

Cheers for any help / advice.

PS this happened in 10.1 and now Mandriva (which i hoped would resolve this issue).

Yep, BMP is a good multimedia app (basically it's XMMS but with GTK2 widgets used), and of course there are always newer great players like Amarok and many xine/mplayer frontends.

Winamp sounds fine when run natively, but under wine I can assure you it will sound much, much worse...

Yep, BMP is a good multimedia app (basically it's XMMS but with GTK2 widgets used), and of course there are always newer great players like Amarok and many xine/mplayer frontends.

Winamp sounds fine when run natively, but under wine I can assure you it will sound much, much worse...

No, even natively it's awful, if you have an audio setup like mines which costs thousands of pounds then maybe just maybe you would understand. The only good audio player i found for windows that sounds good was foobar.

If your using KDE i would have to agree with scarecrow that amarok would be the best, has awesome playlist management, OSD, coverart and other goodies. If your using xfce, gnome or anything else there is quodlibet which plays flac, ogg, mp3 and mpc it also has cover art and OSD (it's a little better than amaroks osd and more customisable.)