Booting up screen [solved]

smileychgo

Hi all - when I boot up now I have a 'session type' and 'menu' button at the bottom left of the screen instead of getting the choices in the drop down box in the middle of the screen. Can anyone tell me how to get that back?

In case no one knows what I'm talking about, I have attached a picture of the login screen that I'm wanting to get back.

Thanks.

post-11894-1121749027_thumb.jpg

Edited by smileychgo

It sounds like you have a GDM selected instead of MDKKDM. Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager and choose MDKKDM. Then you should be back to the screen you prefer.

It sounds like you have a GDM selected instead of MDKKDM.  Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager and choose MDKKDM.  Then you should be back to the screen you prefer.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying.

I do not see a MDKKDM option; however there's a KDM (KDE Display Manager) which is already checked - and I still do not get that login screen.

Do you think it has something to do with the kernel I have? I think I have 2.6.

Have a look in Remove Software, and see if you can find something called mdkkdm (system/configuration/packaging/remove software).

If not, then you can install using Install Software, or by typing urpmi mdkkdm from the CLI (although type su and supply root password before to do it).

Type the following at the prompt, and see what you get back:

rpm -qa mdkkdm

On my Mandrake 10.1 OE box, this is what mine shows when I type it:

[ian@ianlinux ian]$ rpm -qa mdkkdm

mdkkdm-10.1-19mdk

[ian@ianlinux ian]$

It could be you have it installed already, which is why it said no package available. Do you have your urpmi sources configured through easyurpmi?

OK, try going into System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software. Change the option to All so that we can see each installable item listed.

Then click in the search box, type mdkkdm and do a search. Does it appear as an installable item? If not, do the same, except run Remove Software, and then choose the All option, and type mdkkdm and see if it's on the list here.

Hmmm, that's odd. I might be tempted to remove all sources, and add them again, so that you have a fresh index, and see if it appears then. You can do this using Software Media Manager or using:

urpmi.removemedia -a

if you have CD/DVD media, you'll need to add it again (I've done before, using the Software Media Manager). It will look something like this in your Software Media list, so you might want to copy it into a text file for now, ready to put back later:

URL: removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main

Relative path to synthesis/hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz

then just add the easyurpmi sources after that.