Does Ndiswrapper work with Linksys WMP11?

NateDogg785

Just a quick Q for any one that has used this ndiswrapper program. Does it support linksys' WMP11 wireless PCI card? I talked to linksys' tech support and they said they do not support linux OS... =/ just wanted to know if this problem with solve my lack of drive(module) problem...?

Thank in advance!

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

Yes it works with ndiswrapper (mandriva le2005 does a good job setting up wireless so use the MCC)

Note: older versions of that card use a different chip (prism instead of broadcom) and there is a linux driver. Let Mandriva set it up for you.

Im using 10.1, i wanted to play with linux a little before i decide i want to buy a copy. I am not sure what version my card is, i think there are three different versions but i am not sure. Also do you know what the name of the driver is and how to install the driver in linux, im a newbie so im still quite fresh to all this. I tried using the wireless config in mandriva but it didnt seem to want to automaticlly set it up, it wanted me to manually pick the driver from a list and it didnt seem to have one for linksys wmp11 there. if you know what i should be looking for (ie the name of the module or driver file) i would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Open the MCC, hardware, hardware for specification (or open a console and type: lspci)

Look in the tips and tricks forum how to setup ndsiwrapper manually (it's for a different card but you get the idea).

Name of modue (driver) prism2_pci (oly for the older card with prism chip)

You only 'need' to buy Mandriva if you don't have broadband and downloading the cds and packages takes ages. The only reason why you would want to buy the distro is to support the company. If you have a reasonbly fast connection (2MB) do a network install and don't bother with downloading the CDs

Should NDIS Wrapper already be on my system? These installation instructions on source forge are over my head... do you think you could help walk me through the installation process im still very new and trying to learn. but some of this command line and kernal source stuff is above my head...

I've been looking into this card myself for my new computer. If you have version 3 and greater Linux will detect it on it's own. If you have something less than version 3 you will have to set up the ndiswrapper.

Right now newegg's are version 3. I've seen a couple of revies about it working with Linux natively. LIke I said version 1 & 2 are no good. Version 3 works nothing but magic.

Good Luck :)