DVD burner won't read cds [solved]

smileychgo

Audio CD's cannot be mounted... (no filesystem), they can just be replayed.

Do you have digital playback enabled for your DVD burner? If you don't use an internal cable to your souncard you MUST enable digital playback, else- no sound.

Also your command is inconclusive- it should first define the device to be mounted to /mnt/cdrom2 (which should already exist as a mount point), but anyway it wouldn't work for an audioCD, even if it were correct.

Edited by scarecrow

One way is: put in an audioCD, then fire up "kscd". There from "extras" / "configure kscd" (the CD which you just inserted shouldn't playback yet!) and there define the correct CD-ROM device (or the device's mount point) and tick on the "use direct digital playback" box.

Of course there are more ways to achieve that, but the above is pretty simple and straightforward.

PS: if you use KDE 3.4.0+ you can even access the audioCD tracks via the KDE VFS. Open konqueror and type in "audiocd:/" and you are set. You can rip directly from there to .wav, .mp3, .ogg or .flac

Edited by scarecrow

Hi scarecrow,

Thanks for replying back. Got something weird going on here. First of all, when I first put the cd in the DVD burner tray, it began to play right away - and I didn't get a chance to configure anything.

Ok - I put the same cd the regular cd rom tray and it did not play. I went to configure and unchecked the 'use direct digital playback' (because it was already checked) and the cd would play but there was no sound. I did the same thing again and replaced the cd in the burner tray and same thing happened so I checked the 'use direct digital playback' and it began to play again. Confusing I know.

I'm happy that it's playing. Thanks again.

Smiley