KDE Gnome and root login - oh my!

NateDogg785

OK, so ive just installed 10.1 Official and have Gnome set as the default desktop but id like to know how to switch them so i can try each one a little (both are installed). Also I would like to know how to put a login screen before mandrake starts up. I have a dual boot just FYI. I would like the root login as well as my user account to show up on the login. Also im having problems getting my wireless PCI card to work if any one knows any thing about configuring wireless and could help id be very grateful.

Thanks!

For wireless see the howtos and tips and tricks forums (or just search the board).

Mandrake default install gives a login manager. If you don't have one, go to the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), start, start and check graphical login.

To login from a console type: startx startkde (for kde), startx icewm (for icewm) etcetc.

Also in mcc>boot, make sure you don't have "autologin" enabled. If you do , the system blows past the login screen and goes directly to the gui. If you like the autologin and just wnat to try kde, select "End Current Session" when you logout instead of restart or turn off computer. That will take you to the login screen, assuming you have one installed.

Yeah thanks pmpatrick, i checked the boot options and autologin was on. turned it off and now i have what i want =D (lets me select desktop mode on login, YEAH!)

Thanks!