Gnome vs KDE

ilia_kr

Hi,

i usually use KDE and don't know a thing about Gnome. My requerments for desktops are: speed, good looking & easy to use.

In that terms, what is better KDE or Gnome?

P.S. What do you think about FluxBox?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

ilia, we have several topics on this already in the forum. maybe you should use the search tool and take a look at those posts. they might answer your questions in a hurry. ;)

Great!!

I'm not the only noob that posted this question. Ilia, I started the last "discussion" on Gnome v. KDE; it devolved quite quickly into "who's desktop is better." So, just to join the crowd...I am a noob (going on three months with linux) and have for the last week and a half or so been using Gnome instead of KDE. I must say that I like it better.

WoMBaT

speed=either....depend on versions and what apps and versions.

good looking=again....that is personal taste and no one can decide that but the one in front of the pc.

easy=concerning preferences? kde | concerning simplicity? gnome

flux= user preference again. It's a fun toy if you like to tinker. IMO, all the speed people claim to gain by using it is wasted configuring it constantly :cheeky:

flux= user preference again. It's a fun toy if you like to tinker. IMO, all the speed people claim to gain by using it is wasted configuring it constantly cheeky.gif

I agree completely. :geek: Maybe I haven't tried it long enough? I just tinkered with it a few minutes (read: days)

WoMBaT

Great!!

I'm not the only noob that posted this question.  Ilia, I started the last "discussion" on Gnome v. KDE; it devolved quite quickly into  "who's desktop is better."  So, just to join the crowd...I am a noob (going on three months with linux) and have for the last week and a half or so been using Gnome instead of KDE.  I must say that I like it better.

WoMBaT

Yes, i've just seen your topic, i should have search for it before i post my oun indeed :P

I like KDE because it is pretty nice & for some reason gnome is much slower at my box, but i think i'll give it a try.

P.S. What is the last version of Gnome?

P.S. What is the last version of Gnome?

I believe the lastest stable version is 2.10...but if you are using Mandriva LE 2005, good luck. I can't get it installed correctly to run. It comes DANGEROUSLY close to crashing my system every time I try (i've tried 3 times).

WoMBaT

GNOME slower than KDE?

impossible.

Why is that?

I give you an example: when i want to open a menu by clicking the right mouse button, i see it appears after some delay; that never happened to me in KDE.

Everything that changes the appearance of windows takes some time, and that really drives me crazy!!! :evilmod: