Internet connection sharing

ilia_kr

Hi,

I have 2 PC's: one running MDK 10.1 and the othe WinXP. The USB ADSL modem is connected to the XP and i share the connection through an 'Analog X' proxy server. Now, i have some questions:

1. Is there any other GPL proxy that is better that my one ?

2. Do i really need a proxy or there is another way?

Thanks

You do not really need a proxy. A better way is to make your linux box act as a router through ip masquerading aka network address translation or nat. Try using the "ICS" of mandriva found in the mcc. If you have problems, just search this forum. Good luck!

You do not really need a proxy.  A better way is to make your linux box act as a router through ip masquerading aka network address translation or nat.  Try using the "ICS" of mandriva found in the mcc.  If you have problems, just search this forum.  Good luck!

What ?! Can you please translate that to a human language? :o

If all you want is just to share connection, you can use Windows XP's Internet Connection Sharing Wizard. But the security is really really iffy.

I notice that you have a USB ADSL modem. They are somewhat hard to support in Linux. If you have an ethernet ADSL modem, you can use your Linux box to act as a gateway/router so that your WinXP box connected to the Internet via your Linux box instead of the other way around.

For the least amount of headache, it may be better to buy a hardware gateway/router instead. I am not sure what brand of gateway/router that support USB connection but they shouldn't be more than 50 dollars in cost. Add this to the flexibility of adding more computers later that want to share Internet connection (just in case).

You may be right. There may be no such thing. I guess the USB ports I have seen in some gateway routers are either for configuration only or it's actually a cable/dsl modem with both usb and ethernet ports.

See, this is why I hate USB everything.

I have a router that can connect via USB (although you'll obviously get rubbish transfer rates and there's only one USB port).

If you get to the point where you want to share the connection from the Mandy box then check the pinned topic at the top of the networking forum.

I have a router that can connect via USB (although you'll obviously get rubbish transfer rates and there's only one USB port).

If you get to the point where you want to share the connection from the Mandy box then check the pinned topic at the top of the networking forum.

I probably won't do that, because my little bro uses internet connection more frequently than me and he doesn't know a heck about linux (he uses XP), so i'll leave the modem connected to XP box.

Anyway, thanks