Changing Splashscreens?

Guest HudsonHawk

Guest HudsonHawk

Hi im using 2005 Ltd ED (Download) on dual-boot a WinXP/Linux System.

But i want to use custom graphics for my LILO O/S selection screen, boot screen (the graphics that cover all that 'verbose' system start up guff) and the login screen.

Could any one give me pointers on how to do this please?

Thanks,

HH.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Guest HudsonHawk
You can change the LILO splash screen via Mandrake Control Center - boot, and the kdm splash screen via kcontrol.

How? i have managed to change the login, Gnome, KDE and boot screen but i cant find a way to change the LILO O/S selection one.....

The image you can change in the boot options is not the LILO one but the start up one (as far as i have been able to do anyway)..... well thats not totaly true i read about using Gimp + a Script-Fu and mklilomsg but the script-fu is giving me error messages (yes the image is single layer and RGB and 640x480) :(

oh... for the lilo image, you need to go to the lilo section of your system and replace the image it uses (dunno, if it is stored in a /boot or /usr subfolder... i use grub) with another one and run lilo afterwards from a terminal.

Guest HudsonHawk

OK i have worked out how to do it now :) with mkbootmsg .... but i cant get images edited by me to work

I can take others files and make them into usable fimages but even though mkbootmsg gives me a posative when i try to make my file LILO reverts to its text version

:wall:

Hello, HudsonHawk.

Have you tried anyone of my splash packs?

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=24870

Perhaps one of them already fits your needs so that you don't have to make one yourself. But, even if you still want to do that, it's very easy.

Please read this Howto first (only "lilo images" section):

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/BootSplashHowTo

You should also download the lilo-*mdk.src.rpm from the ftp mirrors, and extract the lilo-graphic-pictures.tar.bz2. It's helpful for splash-making beginners. Just think the pics as examples or templates.