Can't update Evolution to vers 2.2.2

I can't seem to update Evolution vers 2.0.4.3 to a newer version. I've tried updating through the console and MCC to no avail. Just so you guys don't think I'm crazy, I am including a link to the newer version so you can see that there's an updated version. http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/5.../Evolution.html

I have satisfied all of the requirements but i still get an error after I ./configure within the extracted folder. Here's the error I'm getting:

Package gal-2.4 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gal-2.4.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'gal-2.4' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 libbonoboui-2.0 >= 2.4.2 gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.4 libgnomeui-2.0 libglade-2.0 libgnomecanvas-2.0 libxml-2.0 gconf-2.0 gal-2.4 >= 2.4.2) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

I ran a 'urpmi gal' and it tells me the package is already installed.

[root@localhost wyman]# urpmi gal

The package(s) are already installed

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to get this updated?

Thanks,

smiley

Moved from 'Software' to 'Terminal Shell Commands, Kernel and Programming' - Artificial Intelligence

# urpmq --sources gal
no package named gal
The following packages contain gal:
fonts-ttf-bengali
gal-2.2
gal2.0
galan
galaxium
galaxy-gnome
galaxy-kde
galaxy-kde-kwin
galculator
galeon
kdeaddons-konqimagegallery
libgal-2.2_1
libgal-2.2_1-devel
libgal2.0_6
libgal2.0_6-devel
libgal23
libgal23-devel
libkdeaddons1-konqimagegallery
libsvgalib1
libsvgalib1-devel
mandrakegalaxy
mythtv-theme-purplegalaxy
phpwebgallery
svgalib
webalizer-galician
xaos-svgalib

I think the problem is the newer Evolution requires a newer version of gal. I see gal-2.2 as the version in 2005.

This is the tip of the iceberg of why it is impossible to include the latest version of every package as soon as it comes out. There are potential interactions with the rest of the thousands of packages and the dependencies.

You might find 2.4 in cooker and upgrade to that plus any dependencies but that is unsupported.

# urpmq --sources gal
no package named gal
The following packages contain gal:
fonts-ttf-bengali
gal-2.2
gal2.0
galan
galaxium
galaxy-gnome
galaxy-kde
galaxy-kde-kwin
galculator
galeon
kdeaddons-konqimagegallery
libgal-2.2_1
libgal-2.2_1-devel
libgal2.0_6
libgal2.0_6-devel
libgal23
libgal23-devel
libkdeaddons1-konqimagegallery
libsvgalib1
libsvgalib1-devel
mandrakegalaxy
mythtv-theme-purplegalaxy
phpwebgallery
svgalib
webalizer-galician
xaos-svgalib

I think the problem is the newer Evolution requires a newer version of gal.  I see gal-2.2 as the version in 2005. 

This is the tip of the iceberg of why it is impossible to include the latest version of every package as soon as it comes out.  There are potential interactions with the rest of the thousands of packages and the dependencies.

You might find 2.4 in cooker and upgrade to that plus any dependencies but that is unsupported.

Hi Rolf - thanks for your reply. What's cooker?

cooker is the mandriva testbed. all development versions for future releases are uploaded to cooker for testing. thus cooker is at times quite unstable and should only be used by those who know how to get out of trouble, e.g. using only the command line.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you say add a prefix. Please explain or give explicit instructions on how to do it.
well, sometimes, a program does not only require certain development libraries for compiling but also an indication, where certain files can be found. this is especially true of systems with an altered system-architecture, like mandriva. you rarely need to add this extra information on linux-systems that are closer to the original unix-architecture like slackware, but more customized linux distros need a hint where they can find certain information. this is what the prefix command is good for. if you need the prefix option, it should be stated in the sources of the application you want to install.

hope this clarifies it a bit. :)

Cooker is the development branch of Mandriva. All the newer versions and code are released, tested, and developed until there is some assurance they will work together as the next stable release, then the new software is released as the next version of Mandriva.

It is recommended not to mix cooker and official packages, as changes in the development packages, eventually, cause the software not to work or programs in official that interact with these packages not to work. Occasionally, on a piecemeal basis, adding in some vital new code will work but, if you have problems, you have noone to blame but yourself.

You can find cooker on the devel/ branch of the same mirrors that carry updates/ and the official distribution tree.

You can find links, including about cooker, in the left sidebar, here:

http://www.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/