Cedega

Jet2k5

basically the same as everyone else says. check the gaming database, if the games you play have a good rating, it's worth it. if the games you want to play don't have a good rating, don't bother.

on wine vs. cedega: i'm sorry, but wine simply can not do what cedega does. the wine developers do not put the amount of time, energy, and money into making games work. cedega has a polling system, by which the subscribers vote on what the developers should concentrate on (i.e. a specific game, or making cedega more compliant w/dx9.0). wine is a general windows emulator, its not specific to games and so will not do some of the things cedega can do. logic tells you that, but i've tested both, even done the "setup" for wine that makes some games playable, and cedega is still better.

don't download cedega illegally. pay for it. you don't just get a piece of software, you get a vote in what the cedega developers concentrate on.

that being said, with some games there's just no beating a windows install. i suggest XP Pro.

Edited by tyme

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... Cedega rocks. It is worth every cent.

Games install without a problem and sometimes run better than they would in Windows. I'm playing Half Life 2 and Knights of the Old Republic right now - both are smooth and fast. Both installed without a single hitch.

Aye! Both Wow and WC3 runs way better on my Linux system than when I tried it on a WinXP pro system. I tested it with max setup.

As Tyme said, get the legal paid version of Cedega. $5 isn't much when you look what you get. With the money Transgaming can put more effort into making games work, support and you have the rights to vote and influence which games Transgaming should look at.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

I had Cedega for some time. 5 bucks a month was no problem for the return. I just dont play games (or new ones) anymore on my puter.

It was worth it for me.

After the 3 month min you can stop the service - you still have alegal copy of cedega.

I still have my copy of cedega 4.0.1 :D

Well my games are supported so I'm willing to give Cedega a try. Seems like a good deal, and the whole idea of sticking to one OS by SoulSe is great :). The truth is its a pain in the but to always boot up different OS's

Aye! Both Wow and WC3 runs way better on my Linux system than when I tried it on a WinXP pro system. I tested it with max setup.

WoW runs better on my Windows side :angry: unless i bring down the video settings. but if i try to run with the same settings, it runs kinda slow. :unsure:

I just saw an exact same post on the Ubuntu Forums .. I'm checking to see if I can find you a fix :(. Maybe AI has something for you

That is how the Cedega model works: WoW is the biggest game out right now, so the community will vote for it, in a few days the next version of Cedega will be released and subscribers can grab it and I guarantee you WoW will run flawlessly in it.

That is how it has worked for every new, big game in the last year.

So relax, play it with lower settings and wait for the next release.

I just saw an exact same post on the Ubuntu Forums .. I'm checking to see if I can find you a fix :(.  Maybe AI has something for you

Well, not much actually. I installed Wow at the time when there was trouble with Cedega making the WOW install from the CDs. So I found some pages (can't remember where) which suggested how to setup to get a good performance of Wow and ofcause howto solve the CD issue. And it ran great ever since :)

Also, there will be a dedicated thread at transgaming.org with updated info for running the game and tracking it's development. Also checkout the unofficial Cedega wiki (fantastic resource - use Google).

I used the unofficial wiki, got some increase, but I can't get the opengl to work for some reason, which seems to be a big help with the FPS of it.

Cedega 4.4 was released on 11 July, with the following quote from their site:

Cedega 4.4 provides support for Guild Wars, as well as a number of improvements for Civilization III and StarCraft: Battlenet. Also included are several fixes to mouse cursor handling, as well as the recent OpenGL hotfix for World of WarCraft. These are all items that have received a high number of votes in the polls over the past several months.

There ya go, OpenGL solved - all you need to do is update to the latest version of Cedega.

:cheesy: