Cedega

Jet2k5

<> By bloat I ment all the unneeded services and GUI "enchantments" which slow the pc down and/or open unneeded holes.

<> Windows integrated firewall is shit. Besides it doesn't block Windows services (at least 1.5 years ago). What you need is a 3rd party firewall which can lock all and any ingoing and outgoing traffic. Sygate Personal Pro comes first in mind.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what version I get. As long as it plays games. I have win XP home right now and it doesn't bother me. It's fine, I run all the update tools and also all the Virus blockers. Don't have to worry about spyware as long as I use Firefox.

For Cedega I might give it a try. I'm not sure, I'm not going down without a fight. I'm not going to judge it without trying it. So when I get the rest of my computer parts in and the computer is built. I would subscribe to cedega. Hopefully now that Guild Wars is over and done, with they turn all of their attention to BF2. That is really the only game that I want to play on windows. I looked over at some of the other games that I like, like Call of Duty, Medal Of Honor and games like that. Those are supported in Linux, so I can play those with Cedega. Just BF2 is the one that worries me. + I don't know how well Linux games run against windows ... like which one is better.

Like I said, I would give cedega a try, to make sure I know it's not worth it for good. I'm just mad that some of the older older games like Black Hawk Down, which I would love to play isn't supported on Linux. BTW I'm going to be running ubuntu, don't know how much of a pain it's going to be to use the nvidia drivers from their website. Since ubuntu has the older ones in their reps.

So is there someone that does gaming on Hoary Ubuntu?

Ubuntu works fine if you choose running Cedega on it. I run several games with the Nvidia drivers that comes with Ubuntu.

Edit: Older games? You could try some other emulators and see how they work.

Cedega is next to useless... a well configured Wine is equally good.

The only worthwhile windows games' shooter is VMware 5, but: 1. It does not fully support all Direct3D functions yet, which means that some games have no chance to play, 2. it's very expensive (natural, as it's mainly a developer tool, and not a gaming tool), and 3. it needs a puter with a lot of ooomph (but this is not a real problem for a gaming machine...).

Edited by scarecrow

Cedega is next to useless... a well configured Wine is equally good.

You have a habit of talking utter garbage. Normal wine is what's useless, you've obviously never used either for a long period of time, if you did you would know cedega is superior at running games, compared to normal wine. If people want cedega so badly, just grab a torrent. Not a big deal really.

Edited by Lowe

I am sorry you cannot make your wine work sonny, but it really isn't my fault! :P

Mine is directx patched from here and runs quite a few games fine. And yes, I'm not totally sure I've been using them before you were born.

Good luck with your Cedega, you will need it.

Edited by scarecrow

It surely happens with "vanilla" wine, and it's known that every new wine version fixes ten issues and breaks nine (not complaining, it's eternal alpha, so...). But the above directx patch helps a lot for some games, and currently the list of the games that can play in Cedega is not bigger than the one for Wine (+ directx patch).

The only problem with wine is picking a version that really works well, and noone can conclude on that- game A may be working after upgrading at a new version and Internet Sexploiter may be broken, or vice versa. In fact, I don't even find any good reason to prefer Crossover Office over wine (since I fixed Visio, that is...), but this isn't games related.

Um... Cedega rocks. It is worth every cent.

Games install without a problem and sometimes run better than they would in Windows. I'm playing Half Life 2 and Knights of the Old Republic right now - both are smooth and fast. Both installed without a single hitch.

So, could you all back up your statements that Cedega sucks? I'd love to hear them... /me gets some popcorn.

me? Read again, I never said Cedega sucked. I said that you should convince me to stay to cedega instead of getting windows. I really really want to get a full Linux system. Away from Windows as much as possible.

Now Call of Duty is going to be one of the first games that I'm going to get. That seems to be supported just fine by Linux/Cedega. A couple of other games are supported. But what do I do about those old games that I like? Like Black Hawk Down? Should I just try to install it to see what happeneds? Or I'm I doomed?

Like I said, I didn't say Cedega sucks. Just that I'm not sure if I should be giving my money to a program that only supports games that most people want, not what I want.

I bought cedega and it played many games as great or better than in windows. However for most games I have (200+ ranging from 1995 to present) it did jack. If the games you play are supported by cedega then buy it. Its much more economical then winblows. However like me, most of the games I play weren't. I use cedaga for those games which do to slowly ween me off of windows. Realistically though, cedega is only an option for people who play the games which cedega decides to make work. Just one question, why isn't his in games or emulation forum?