Cedega

Jet2k5

Why the line? Why must one either be for or against Cedega? It's a piece of software, you either use it or you don't :P

I still haven't gotten WoW running smoothly but there's been improvements - I'm still playing with it. Once I can post on the transgaming.org forums (I subscribed) I should make some leaps and bounds forward in getting it running smoothly :).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I take it you're a proponent of Cedega, SoulSe?

Only when it works :P

Do I think it's worth it? Hell yeah - if you're planning on playing a game or games that work with it for at least a few hours every month then of course $5 is worth it. I'm not exactly well off, but I can afford it even with paying in South African Rand.

I also belive it is better than dual-booting with Windows. I don't want Windows on my machine, I can't afford a license and I hate the OS. A game is not a good enough reason for me to install it, I'll rather not play a game than play it in Windows. Straight up.

Now what are everyone's favourite games at the moment? WoW? HL2? Counter Strike? KOTOR2? I've played them all except WoW with Cedega and they've run the same / better than in Windows. So I can't see any reasons to dual-boot. Nada.

BTW Soulse I think tyme does have the newest Cedega.

Nah, he had the previous one if I remember correctly, but now he is subscribed again, so he'll get 4.4 and his OpenGL problem will vanish. :headbang:

Games I play:

- Morrowind, GOTY edition

- A whole host of old(er) adventure games and some RPG ones; this is actually one of the reasons I am reluctant to buy Cedega: it supports all the newest FPS and MMORPG's, but the stuff I really want to run won't. And that even though 'support for older games' has been in the top 3 of the voting for the last 4 or 5 months! So I have the impression they are working on the Far Cry's and WoW's, but not on the 'support for old(er) games' ... or recent games outside the 'mass appeal' area like Broken Sword TSD or Still Life... :(

Games I play:

- Morrowind, GOTY edition

- A whole host of old(er) adventure games and some RPG ones; this is actually one of the reasons I am reluctant to buy Cedega: it supports all the newest FPS and MMORPG's, but the stuff I really want to run won't. And that even though 'support for older games' has been in the top 3 of the voting for the last 4 or 5 months! So I have the impression they are working on the Far Cry's and WoW's, but not on the 'support  for old(er) games' ... or recent games outside the 'mass appeal' area like Broken Sword TSD or Still Life... :(

Yeah, that's true. I badly want to play Dungeon Keeper 2 again, but it doesn't run well at all and crashes frequently. It has been submitted for voting a few times, but never gets enough support :angry:

Like I said - I love Cedega when it works ;)

Heh I don't know if that might be possible, but if so I'm so going to play Flight Combat Simulator 3. I bought that game and now I don't know where it is ... I have to go to a friends house to play it.

Anyhow has anyone played with Cedega in a amd64 machine? I'm going to be using Ubuntu Hoary 64-bit and I know what you can install Cedega on it, by forcing the arch. But I don't know if you have to play the games under a 32-bit chroot mode.

I was kind of hoping just to install Cedega and just install the games normally. But I hear a lot about 64-bit chroot mode and how you have to install the nvidia drivers on there, + cedega + the games. I seriously don't want to have to put up with all that just to play a darn game ;)

Seems like a lot of the games that are Linux naitive don't require Ubuntu's 32-bit chroot mode. It's just as simple as downloading the game, untaring it, and playing it. Never knew it could be this simple :)

Just wonder how it would run with Cedega. If it's a must for a 32-bit chroot mode, or if I can apply the same tactics as the Naitive games.

it doesn't lack if you mean that " win32codecs" don't run on a 64-bit machine. there is no win32codecs for 64-bit machine, but you can still use the regular 32-bit ones in a chroot mode, or by forcing the arch on the .deb

Seems like a lot of the games that are Linux naitive don't require Ubuntu's 32-bit chroot mode.  It's just as simple as downloading the game, untaring it, and playing it.  Never knew it could be this simple :)

Just wonder how it would run with Cedega.  If it's a must for a 32-bit chroot mode, or if I can apply the same tactics as the Naitive games.

There are big discussions on the forums at transgaming.org surrounding 64bit platforms and Cedega, so I would go there first.

As for DosGame, dosbox was designed for this purpose and is bullet-proof. WINE helps you run Windows programs, not Dos.