Cedega

Jet2k5

As some of you know I'm building a computer that is going to be for gaming. Now a question that bothers me a lot is whether or not I want to go Linux only, or dual-boot with windows for the games.

Cedega does seem like a good program. But a lot of the games that I like are playable, but I can't really judge it because I've never had it. From the games database it seems like games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, and BF have a 4 star or higher playability. But what does this mean? That you can play the game, but it has major/minor glitches? Certain parts of the game are missing? it's weird that Cedega 4.4 got released with Guild Wars and it only has a 2 star playability. There is a couple of games that I like that are actually supported in Linux. I've mentioned them on top. But what about those games that I LIKE that are not so popular. I can't play those because it's not the latest HOT stuff? That doesn't seem fair, and I seriously do want to give my money to a program that doesn't work for me.

Now why spend about 5 or 30 dollars a month, when I can spend about 80 on windows XP and play games , any games for free and I don't have to worry about it not working? The only thing that scares me is that this is going to be my MAIN PC. This is the PC that is going to be turned on 24/7 my laptop will just sit around. So if this new computer is only for gaming, and windows is on it. I'm scared that windows is the only OS that will be booted. To me there is no sense of booting Linux just to use firefox and hang out in a chat room and then boot back when I want to play a game.

So please convince me to pick one or the other. I just don't want to spend MY money for things that are not good for me. If cedega can support BF2 by the time I order the rest of my parts .. that's it. I'm going Linux only :). :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you ment, it's just that I think that's the best use for windows.

Install it, strip it down of all the bloat, seal the box, play games on it.

A x86 console :thumbs:

And all the work do on Linux (or Mac)

Edited by solarian

I know what you ment, it's just that I think that's the best use for windows.

Install it, strip it down of all the bloat, seal the box, play games on it.

A x86 console  :thumbs:

And all the work do on Linux (or Mac)

Ah, ok i got confused by your post. Sorry. :embarassed:

Too bad, i only have one half decent computer and it runs only linux. :P

I have only one pc, and it's dual-boot. At least I think so.., because I haven't booted into windows since I installed it about 15 moths ago (just in case). The win boot in LILO I've named w-box ;)

But since I don't play games any more I might just as well get rid of it and install another Linux distro.

I think I am going to end up getting windows. It shouldn't be very bloated since I'm buying it straight from windows. Or getting a copy that is from windows. Unlike getting it pre-installed on a computer it usually has the manufacturers programs and weird stuff which just adds to the bloat.

I have searched the forums, and no one even mentions those games. All they mention is the hottest and new games, which they can't even play ;)

If you do windows, get xp pro. With an external firewall program, it can be locked down. xp home is a short cut with the normative windows problems.

<spies flamebait>

<bites>

Reasons to buy XP Pro over Home:

1) IIS (though this can be hacked-in to a Home install with the aid of a Win2K CD)

2) Participate in and control Windows Domains (have heard of a hack for this too, but not tried)

3) Encrypted FS (equivalent if not better alternatives are available for free)

4) Some system binaries (taskkill, schtasks...) which just need to be 'sourced' and dropped into System32 directory

5) GUI control over NT permissions (another hack-in, this time from the Win2K Resource Kit)

I guess if you NEED this stuff and are not prepared to be 'economic' with your EULA, then it must be Pro. Or, y'know, Linux...?