Triple configurations?

Havent had much luck trying to install another linux alongside my xp and mdk dual boot. Heard it is possible and not to difficult but the third OS never boots...tried it with FC3 and Ubuntu. Any suggestions? All I hear is "Why would you put up two Nix systems on the same box. Cause the MDK works and I want to test drive another one before running it solely alongside xp, should I prefer it. So far, though, nothing Ive tried beats the Mandy

[moved to "other linux distributions" by arctic]

Assuming you used Lilo for Manriva and XP, you can install the others and make sure they put the bootloader on their boot partition, not the MBR. Then boot into Mandriva and add them to the boot sequence using MCC. In the past I've had problems mixing Lilo and Grub (which FC and Ubuntu default to) so I've done Ubuntu with Lilo without trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

if you have some serious trouble setting up the triple boot, please post the content of your lilo.conf (of mandriva) and the grub configuration of ubuntu /f fedora (whichever you use). remember that the grub file is /boot/grub/menu.lst.

with the output of these two files we can create a working bootloader for your triple boot system.

• 1 month later...

Getting good now at installing dual boot linuxes....copying boot files into the first distros menu.lst , but Kubuntu seems to be an exception. Heard that you DONT install a bootloader at all?!?! But then how would you get back into ubuntu to continue the package installs and stuff after its first reboot? Or do you just load the ubuntu grub onto the root partition for ubuntu and then go back to distro one, (mepis at the moment) and copy all the relevant file info?

Or is Mepis the problem with its unusual meauto installer thingy? So far its making dual boots a snap but with Kubuntu....no luck....by choosing Ubuntu at the splash screen, Im bounced to a grub screen from ubuntu that doesnt do anything except return after you select ubuntu. Redundant to say the least. Its like a Bootloader Purgatory.

As I already have one bootloader installed (grub from Fedora), I simply install new systems like Ubuntu on the secondary harddrive I have and select not to install a bootloader. I continue to use the Fedora one.

Once e.g. Ubuntu asks for a reboot, I boot into Fedora, mount the Ubuntu partition, take a look at the Ubuntu vmlinuz and initrd entries in its /boot folder and add a new Ubuntu related boot-option in Fedoras grub with this information. After that I reboot my system and boot into the newly created Ubuntu grub entry and let the system continue the installation and configuration of the base system. Easy, eh? ;)

Getting good now at installing dual boot linuxes....copying boot files into the first distros menu.lst , but Kubuntu seems to be an exception. Heard that you DONT install a bootloader at all?!?! But then how would you get back into ubuntu to continue the package installs and stuff after its first reboot?  Or do you just load the ubuntu grub onto the root partition for ubuntu and then go back to distro one, (mepis at the moment) and copy all the relevant file info?

i did something similar when I added arch linux on my dual-boot system. what i did was to copy down on a piece of paper the boot partition of arch (which is the same as its root partition) and skipped the bootloader part. i went into mandriva (my main os) and then edited the grub menu, and then rebooted again to get into arch.

what went wrong with my setup? nothing really at the time but when I messed up a mdv upgrade i inadventently wiped the mdv boot partition when I stopped reinstalling halfway. it was a good thing i noted down the partitions because i was able to boot into arch using the grub oniine prompt. :)

ciao!