Azureus NAT error

Guest MoExius

Guest MoExius

Hey, fellas!!! Im a newie with Linux. I've installed Mandrake 2005 LE. After installing a few software, i thought that i had to install azureus. The installation went perfect and i can run. When im at the configuration wizard and i press on test, i get this message: "Testing port 6881 ... NAT Error". I have a router which has firewall option (this one is disable as far as i know) from SITECOM and a modem CJ8M0 E-U. I believe i have no firewall set up on Mandrake so my question is: How can i fix that problem??? Could someone help me please??? I would appreciate it. :thanks:

The error means that people sharing behind routers can't find you so you can't download from them. What you need to do is forward port 6881-6890 (you can forward more if you download from more then 10 torrents). Read the manual for your router.

Mandriva default has the firewall on. Open the Mandrake control center, security, firewall, expert and enter 6881-6890/tcp. That should be it.

Guest MoExius

hey guys!!!! Sorry i couldnt reply yesterday. I tried what you said. I opened up the MCC/security/firewall. I think i could open the port 6881. But its still showing up the same. Yellow smilies and when i test the port NAT Error. I really dont know what to do. I've checked my router and modem and they are not firewalled so......

Another tip, please????

Unlike the python based Bittorrent clients, Azureus uses a single TCP communication port, so you have to forward just that single one. UDP traffic on a single port should also be enabled if you plan using the embedded tracker.

Yes, and that causes a lot of problems. One being speed and some others i'm too lazy to explain.

I recommend you use bittornado, once the new one comes out it's going to blow the pants off every bittorrent client. Shouldn't be too long now.

The only problems coming out of the single TCP port are security related... performance-wise they don't mean a thing, and setting up your firewall is much, much simpler. Performance loss may come only with Windblows XP SP2 and an unpatched TCP/IP stack, which is hardly the case for almost all P2P users.

Yellow smilies may (or may not...) mean that your ISP is filtering internet traffic on the well-known P2P ports - try a high port number (10,000+) and if you have green smilies, then this is the case for sure (...almost).

Edited by scarecrow

Azureus is slower than other BT clients. That's not what stopped me from using it though, the thing that stopped me from using it was the attitude of the developers, i reported a bug in great detail about how azureus semi-kills any running browser, webpages don't load they just show the load sign for a mili-second and then stop. The azureus dev team told me it was a windows problem, i was like well that's funny i'm using linux. You know what happened next? They deleted my bug report, so screw them.

Edited by Lowe

• 2 months later...

I agree with Azureus is a nightmare to install and setup I am still reading notes to try.

I have used bittornado in windows and right now trying to install it.

I downloaded the tar file in a terminal I unzipped it to my folder.

then did a cd bittornado-cvs

then can't seem to get it to install?

any help would be appreciated.

I use firefox. I did not try to install using SU.

Any Help would be appreciated.