routing help please! [solved]

crundle

once again I'm in trouble!!

I have recently reinstalled mandrake 10.2 after breaking some things whilst playing with configurations.

I am trying to get my routing to the local wireless AP in my neighbourhood working, but I am stuck at a point and can't think of how to proceed.

I have the belkin wireless card going under ndiswrapper, have done ndiswrapper -m to add it to the startup, and have entered a script to set wlan0 to the AP, but I can't ping it at all, but I can see it when I do an iwlist wlan0 scan, with the results being;

wlan0     Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx - not the numbers shown!

ESSID:"www.southernwifi.net"

Protocol:IEEE 802.11b

Mode:Managed

Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)

Quality:0/100  Signal level:-64 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm

Encryption key:on

Bit Rate:1 Mb/s

Bit Rate:2 Mb/s

Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s

Bit Rate:11 Mb/s

Extra:bcn_int=100

Extra:atim=0

the wep key is set correctly.

the AP is set to 10.123.192.33, and my ip is 10.123.192.34

my route table is;

Kernel IP routing table

Destination                  Gateway         Genmask              Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

dial-lns1.sa.ch               *               255.255.255.255            UH    40     0        0 ppp0

10.123.192.32               *               255.255.255.224               U     0      0        0 wlan0

10.0.0.0               10.123.192.33   255.0.0.0                         UG    0      0        0 wlan0

default         dial-lns1.sa.ch           0.0.0.0                             UG    40     0        0 ppp0

my question is what is wrong with my routes that i can't see out from my computer?

i don't know why the 10.123.192.32 route is in there, but when this worked before it was also there, and I don't know enough about routing to go much further in case i make it worse.

I'm sure its something simple as it always is, any help would be much appreciated.....

crundle

:)

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Hi

You say you cannot ping the AP - assuming you are trying to ping it by IP address, i.e. ping 10.123.192.33, then you should be able to with your routing table as it is... There must be a problem with the antenna/card/driver/ssid/wep key /something else :)

Quality:0/100
doesn't look very promising...

One thing, have you been allocated your IP address by the admin, or chosen it yourself? It may be conflicting with somebody elses... I suspect the IP addresses are supposed to be allocated automatically by DHCP (when you can connect)

To access the Internet through the wireless network, you will need to lose the ppp0 stuff and set the default gateway to wlan0. I assume this is what you are trying to do, or are you dialling up/using PPP over wireless too somehow?

To set the default route to wlan0, be root and do:

route del default
route add default gw 10.123.192.33 wlan0

All non-local packets should then get sent to the wireless card.

The

10.123.192.32    *  255.255.255.224    U    0      0        0 wlan0
bit implies a small subnet of 30 nodes. I just looked on the southernwifi web site - the route should be to the entire 10.0.0.0 network (as it is in the next line of your routing table) , so you could lose this line with
route del -net 10.123.192.32 netmask 255.255.255.224 wlan0

Not that that should make any difference to being able to ping the AP, as it is on this subnet.

not absolutely sure what the problem ended up being, but a fresh install of mandrake and that same routing table worked a treat. about the only thing that changed was using the latest ndiswrapper instead of the one on the mandrake base rpms. btw, the fresh install of mandrake also solved another problem of getting the system to recognise my flyview 3000 tv card, which now works a treat as my new video recorder.

thanks for the help provided,

crundle

:)