New laptop and Mandrake won't install

Phantom

I just bought a new laptop and I'm trying to get Mandrake running but it won't recognise the SATA-II disk.

Suse 9.3 was able to get a bit further by disabling the ACPI, but hey, running a laptop without ACPI ain't an option.

After all the fighting with Mandriva to get my box here I'm stuck again, the shiny Powerpack box is just sitting there, unable to get installed :(

Why not check if it will install before you buy a new laptop? :)

True :jester:

But hey, I couldn't resist, and I needed something to get BF2 running :P

I'll wait a while then, still it's a shame that hw manufac. won't support Linux, some do but not all.

This means that people who want to run Linux need to stay 1 hw generation behind for compatibility :screwy:

I'll mess around a bit to see if I can get it work, in the meanwhile if somebody has an idea how to install on SATA-II disks using a Intel 915PM chipset ...

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem trying to install the powerpack on a desktop. Eventually, I did get it to install using alt1 install option, but it was not working well. After I got fed up with poor performance, I updated the system to LE2005 (I used a DVD which came with one of the magazines).

It seems that MDK has issues with some SATA controllers.