Acrobat 7 doesn't work in LE2005

Uiler

Hi guys

I just installed Mandriva LE2005 tonight. I applied all the updates. Then I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7. I tried both the rpm and the tar.gz, both of which I personally downloaded off the Adobe website. However, everytime I tried to run acroread I see the splash screen and then it crashes. Even better it doesn't give a single error message, just dumps me back to the command line with absolute nada. I got the plugin to register with Firefox. When I click on a pdf link the splash screen comes up and I get a blank white page so obviously the same thing is happening. I tried this as root too with the same results. A google search shows up nothing. So any ideas?

This might be a wild guess, but I had problems with OpenOffice if I didn't have mesa installed, and OpenGL enabled with adding the following to xorg.conf:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

after I had added this, and installed mesa and associated libmesa rpm's, it worked fine. It might apply, so something I thought of suggesting.

This might be a wild guess, but I had problems with OpenOffice if I didn't have mesa installed, and OpenGL enabled with adding the following to xorg.conf:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

after I had added this, and installed mesa and associated libmesa rpm's, it worked fine.  It might apply, so something I thought of suggesting.

well i will help you , it is simple you have just to install the libstdc++5 and everything will work like a charm....

Regards,

FreeEagle

Edited by FreeEagle

Actually I *do* have libstdc++5 installed. I know because I had to install it using urpmi to get Matlab to work. So no, libstdc++5 is not the source of the problem.

What on earth would 3D acceleration have to do with Acrobat reader? :screwy:

well i will help you , it is simple you have just to install the libstdc++5 and everything will work like a  charm....

I am sure with this Problem is SOLVED

Regards,

FreeEagle

Edited by Uiler

Actually I *do* have libstdc++5 installed. I know because I had to install it using urpmi to get Matlab to work. So no, libstdc++5 is not the source of the problem.

What on earth would 3D acceleration have to do with Acrobat reader? :screwy:

well i will help you , it is simple you have just to install the libstdc++5 and everything will work like a  charm....

well in this Case , i do not know, it was the same thing that i had before , its just the same liek what you described here, but in my Case , i just install the lib and it works.

About the 3D it was not my Suggestion, because this make no sense.

FreeEagle

Have you tried running Acrobat 7 from the command line? You might see error messages.

acroread

As I stated in my initial post, I *am* running acroread from the command line.

try to uninstall the Acrobat, and delete all its folders ( usr/local/Adobe/.... ) and also its config. file under your users name, then install it again .

I made today a new install for my MK 2005 LE and installed again Acrobat 7 ( German Edition ) and everything went well, I used the tar version, do not install the Firefox plugin, there is a certain script under Adobe Acrobat which do the same Process, try to run it and then do this :

How do I install Acrobat Reader on Linux?

To install the Acrobat Reader plugin, copy nppdf.so to your Mozilla plugins directory, and make sure a copy of (or symlink to) the acroread startup script is in your PATH.

Note: Adobe Reader 7.0 includes a script for installing the browser plugin, although it is not run by default when you install it. If you installed Adobe Reader 7.0 to the default location, this script is at the following location:

/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/install_browser_plugin

Hope this will work with you...

FreeEagle

I've already tried all this. I've tried both the rpm and tar.gz multiple times. Tried deleting the .Adobe folder in my home directory. Tried deleting all the files Adobe puts on with the tar.gz (well, it's the only way you *can* uninstall the tar.gz). Tried running as root as well as normal user. I would like to stress that the problem is not the plugin as I can get Firefox to recognise it easy so I don't need instructions on installing the plugin. The problem is that the program itself (acroread) simply doesn't work. You run it from the command-line - it doesn't work. You open konqueror, right-click on a pdf file and use "open with...acroread" it doesn't work. You use the Firefox plugin, it doesn't work. Each time the splash screen comes up and nothing happens. Presumely it crashes but you get no error messages whatsoever (including on the command-line).

I've even tried turning off memory checking in the startup script (the acroread in the Adobe folder is actually a startup script, the real binary is elsewhere), because it's supposed to allow a buggy acroread to at least *start* and it *still* does exactly the same thing as every other time.

*Sigh* I always get the weird, obscure, bugs that no-one seems to have heard of :wall: I must have bad Linux karma...Maybe it's my punishment for having a Dell :cheesy:

Have you tried running Acrobat 7 from the command line? You might see error messages.

acroread

As I stated in my initial post, I *am* running acroread from the command line.

try to uninstall the Acrobat, and delete all its folders ( usr/local/Adobe/.... ) and also its config. file under your users name, then install it again .

I made today a new install for my MK 2005 LE and installed again Acrobat 7 ( German Edition ) and everything went well, I used the tar version, do not install the Firefox plugin, there is a certain script under Adobe Acrobat which do the same Process, try to run it and then do this :

How do I install Acrobat Reader on Linux?

To install the Acrobat Reader plugin, copy nppdf.so to your Mozilla plugins directory, and make sure a copy of (or symlink to) the acroread startup script is in your PATH.

Note: Adobe Reader 7.0 includes a script for installing the browser plugin, although it is not run by default when you install it. If you installed Adobe Reader 7.0 to the default location, this script is at the following location:

/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/install_browser_plugin

Hope this will work with you...

FreeEagle

Edited by Uiler

The only thing I can think of is to look down the list of files required by the rpm and make sure each is already installed

Requires :

libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2)

libgobject-2.0.so.0

libpthread.so.0

libACE.so

libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)

libdl.so.2

libcrypto.so.0.9.6

libssl.so.0.9.6

libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

libAXE8SharedExpat.so

libm.so.6

libresolv.so.2

libagli18n.so.28

libJP2K.so

libcurl.so.2

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.4)

libgcc_s.so.1

libz.so.1

libpango-1.0.so.0

libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)

libaglcnv.so.28

libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)

libstdc++.so.5

libResAccess.so

ld-linux.so.2

libXext.so.6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.2)

libAXE16SharedExpat.so

libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)

/bin/sh

libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)

rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1

libresolv.so.2(GLIBC_2.2)

libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)

libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)

libgmodule-2.0.so.0

libX11.so.6

rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

libAXSLE.so

libatk-1.0.so.0

rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1

rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)

libpangox-1.0.so.0

libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0

libBIB.so

htmlview

libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)

libglib-2.0.so.0

libCoolType.so

libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)

libagluc.so.28

libAGM.so

libc.so.6

libWRServices.so

libagldata.so.28

Actually I *do* have libstdc++5 installed.  I know because I had to install it using urpmi to get Matlab to work.  So no, libstdc++5 is not the source of the problem.

What on earth would 3D acceleration have to do with Acrobat reader?  :screwy:

I suggested as you were having problems trying to launch Acrobat, and I found that if 3D acceleration wasn't enabled, I couldn't launch OpenOffice. Not quite similar, but I did explain it might help with the launching issue. If it doesn't, then disregard it. Once I enabled it, OpenOffice was OK. I don't know why, it just was a problem, and I felt I'd suggest, in case it helped.

I want to ask only a question: Did you run the script "install_browser_plugin" to install plugin for your browser that come with Acrobat7.0 which I believe it's located in /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser folder by default installation of Acrobat?

If your anwser is YES, that might be the problem you're experiencing. It happened to me before exactly what you described and i couldn't figured why.

I don't know how many times I install and reinstall LE2005 in the past month, I tried Acrobat Reader 5 instead of 7. In version 5, there is no install_browser_plugin script so I had to do it myself by making link to the plugin in firefox folder and exporting path to acroread. Amazingly it works.....

Since I do a lot of install and reinstall LE2005 in the past month, I had the oportunity to try one more time with Acobat 7.0 but this time I did exactly as what I have done with Reader5.0. And it works.