nvidia drivers issue with old gfx card MDV 2005 LE

juanchor

Hello

Well, I had no problems during drivers installation, the 7174 version one was a breeze. In fact, I've had no problem at all with previous versions of Mandrake linuces (I've used 9.0, 10.0 and now 10.2/2005LE) and nVIDIA propietary drivers to date.

But now, I've got a minor but disturbing one. Everything works ok in X... except openGL programs that use X11 cursors (such as blender and Mahjongg 3d Solitaire) for mouse cursor. In those programs the mouse cursor leaves a trail or even worse... in blender it dissapears and leaves no trail when I click, then it appears when I click again and leaves a trail on buttons... kind of an on/off switch. Annoying :juggle:. Maybe it's because my good ol' geforce... I think as I didn't have those fancy, animated KDE 3.3 cursors (or are they Xorg's?) back in previos versions of Mandrake maybe it has something to do with this. How could I have the good ol' X11 black & white cursors back? Choosing the default theme in KDE Control Center won't help. I tried IceWM but it has the very same cursors, so...

I've tried downgrading drivers to 7167 too but it's the same. The drivers I didn't have this issue with on 10.0, 6111 version, won't even install properly (they don't support the way newer kernel, I guess). I can't upgrade to any latest than 7174 either because nVIDIA dropped support for "legacy cards" like mine.

Tried also xorg.conf Options for the nVIDIA driver like HWCursor 1, then 0, SWCursor, NoFlip... no joy

Well, I write the most relevant hardware & software data below. Thanks in advance for any help

Hard:

AMD K7 600 MHz

320 Mb RAM PC133

nVIDIA geForce DDR 32 Mb

Soft:

Mandriva 2005 LE

Xorg 6.8.2 (updated)

KDE 3.3.2 (updated too)

kernel 2.6.11-12mdk (not the out-of-the-box one, it is an update too)

matching kernel-source 2.6.11-12, of course

gcc 3.4.3

Erm... thanks, Dexter, but you're wrong. The 7174 drivers do support "ancient" cards like mine, they removed support from 7664 and above, so I can't install any newer than 7174 ones. I tried downgrading drivers all the way down to 6111 (which gave me no problems on MDK 10.0), but them and 6629 won't install with this kernel. 7167 does install ok, but works the same for me, graphical annoyances included, so I'll stick to 7174 for now.

The good news is I've found that going to runlevel 3 and starting X with the -nosilk option the cursor doesn't disappear on blender at least. But the rest of graphical glitches like the trail on menus and buttons is still there. Well, it's almost usable now. Hope nVIDIA releases those legacy drivers... sometime.

FX 5200's aren't that expensive, now I think of...

Regards