how to update

SuperDoyle

Open a console, login as root and type: urpmi.update -a (to update the package list) and urpmi --auto-select (will automatically install new packages)

Hint: updates are notoriously unreliable. Better is to do a clean reinstall without formatting /home (all your user data and settings will be safe. Of course only if you keep this data in /home :) )

You can update it. First thing would be to remove existing media. Type urpmi.removemedia -a (this will remove all media sources for 10.1 and urpmi links if you set them up).

Then visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and choose 2005 as your source, and select all sources main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Then, all you would do is from the prompt, type urpmi --auto-select --auto. This will upgrade every 10.1 component to LE2005.

It can cause a few issues after upgrade, such as sound etc, but mostly you should be OK. If you get any problems, post them, and we can help out. I did a 10.0 to LE2005 upgrade, and it went perfectly fine.

However, as devries says, you should really do a fresh install or upgrade from CD/DVD to make it a bit cleaner.

Then visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and choose 2005 as your source, and select all sources main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Then, all you would do is from the prompt, type urpmi --auto-select --auto. This will upgrade every 10.1 component to LE2005.

before typing

urpmi --auto-select --auto

don't forget to type

urpmi urpmi

to make sure Urpmi is fully updated first!

URL

and relative path to list

removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main
../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz

removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main2
../../media/media_info/hdlist2.cz

removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main3
../../media/media_info/hdlist3.cz

You can use -ADD CUSTOM- in MCC/Software Management/Media Manager

Edited by solarian

can someone tell me how do I configure urpmi to add the mandrake cds back into it's  media list?

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...=0entry195578

Put CD1 in the reader and do, as root:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib removeable://mnt/cdrom

or whatever is the mount point of your reader.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25781&hl=

With both a local and an ftp source configured for the main packages, I don't know if urpmi defaults to one or the other. You could remove or disable the ftp source for main in Menu > System > Configuration > Packaging > Software Media Manager or remove it with urpmi.removemedia main or use the --excludemedia switch with urpmi. Make sure of the name of the media you are removing if you use the commandline by doing urpmq --list-media

See

man urpmi

man urpmi.addmedia

man urpmq

man urpmi.removemedia

etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the urpmi urpmi first, causing it to want to download and install a bunch of different packages. However it failed on three of them, leaving me unable to complete the next step since urpmi wouldn't work. I am now in the process of restoring my system from backups.

If urpmi is already loaded into memory and executing, why would one need to update it first, before doing the urpmi --auto-select --auto? Wouldn't this second step also update urpmi for subsequent uses?