Change default KDE configuration

Guest strangeq

Guest strangeq

Hi,

I'm setting up an LTSP server using Mandrake Limited Edition 2005 with KDE 3.3.2. I want to change the default Mandrake KDE configuration to a unique one (Plastik Theme, etc). I know I could make the changes in the KDE Control Center but this is per user basis.

I tried using KIOSK but several items were not giving me a window to configure them in. I also tried setting up the KDE configuration changes in the file kdesktop-links but nothing happened. If I make the changes to the KDE files in /etc/kde/ I'm not able to implement my clockpanelapplet, konqueror and konsole profile setup.

How can I setup a system-wide KDE configuration scheme so that when I create a new user, it sets MY KDE settings, konqueror and konsole profiles during the inital login sequence. After that, the user should be able to make changes to their taste using the KDE Control Center.

Ramon :thanks:

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but can't you login KDE as root, setup your preferences with the KDE Control Center, (lock it with kiosk if you want). Then make a new user that can change KDE to his/her liking?

I think so, we are working on a kiosk mode using Knoppix and we were able to change values for the KDE desktop in a config file (we created a new desktop for this called kiosk) and then just set desktop = kiosk on boot. so i think you should be able to modify the desktop. cant tell you if its the same as with knoppix but that worked for us. you just have to boot into that mode at startup... =/