Problems problems problems

hello lxthusdan,

ok - I installed bison but i'm still getting that same error. I'm about to burn this computer - :lol2: Something's not working and I'm 99% confident that I'm following you guys instructions, verbatim. I read somewhere on a post here that the 'checkinstall' program is on the cd/dvd - DVD in my case and that it could be installed from there. I did a search for it but could not find it there. Could you or someone else give me explicit instructions on how to install it from DVD? Thanks.

Also I have a response for you in my other post.

smiley

I've been away from this thread for a while, but as I look it over I'm a bit confused as to what is going on. Looks a bit like apples and oranges.

Questions: 1) the tarballs you downloaded, are they binary or source? 2) why not take the simple route and install the Mandriva evolution, etc from your Mandriva sources (DVD or repositoies for main, contrib, and update_sources?

When you log in you are in your home directory. You can do a listing of its files and will see you downloads and extracted tars. Go to the folders for these tars and let us know what is there. You can do this with cli or in Konqueror. When working with tars you have to cd to the folder with all the extracted files.

My main suggestion, though, if all you need is a working evolution install it from MCC.

Hi Polemicz,

Thanks again for responding.

1) I don't know if they are binary or source. how can I tell? 2)I did install Evolution(v 2.0.4) from the MCC; however, there's an updated version(v 2.2.2) of it that I downloaded but it has a tar.gz extension. One reason I was trying to install it the other way is because I'm trying to familiarize myself with the way Linux extracts zip files because it's TOTALLY different from Windows. I tried to find it on the DVD but I couldn't. Also I tried to locate 'checkinstall' on the DVD and couldn't find it either. So I had to download that too but had difficulties getting it installed. I went back to the MCC to see if it would pull the update for Evolution but it told me that there were no updates available at all. So I tried to extract the newer version again last night and I can get as far as to ./configure but the last line returns an error. It said something about installing a gal-2.4 package. After much frustration I decided to go to bed and figure it out later. I was up til 2am.

So...how do I go about installing programs from the DVD, especially the checkinstall?

Thanks,

Smiley

[..]

So...how do I go about installing programs from the DVD, especially the checkinstall?

Thanks,

Smiley

Menu > System > Configuration > Packaging > Install Software.

This is rpmdrake, which gives you a tool to search for packages on your source media (dvd or cd's are added as a source media at install), and install what you want. The Remove Software module will let you search for programs that are installed (rpm packages that have been installed, that is) and remove what you want.

These modules are GUI frontends to the Mandriva-developed family of urpmi tools, which are extensions to the rpm (Red Hat Package Manager) program for managing rpms from the command line.

See man rpm

man urpmi

etc.

Also, Maximum RPM

Here is an example of the use of a urpmi-family tool to look for checkinstall:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rolf]# urpmq --sources checkinstall
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib/checkinstall-1.6.0-0
.beta4.1mdk.i586.rpm

Become root to check what source contains the package you seek as some ftp urpmi sources are password-protected, so only root can read them. This command has told me that checkinstall is in contrib/, a volume of packages that are made by community developers/contributors, are not officially supported (no official updates) but can be very useful.

Some contrib/ packages are included in the 2005 LE Official set of cds and you might or might not be able to find it in your software, installed or installable. If it is not and, since there are many more contrib/ packages at the ftp source, you could add such a source, using the urpmi.addmedia command you get at the Easyurpmi link above. I recommend you do not use the urpmi.removemedia -a command as this will remove your installation media and urpmi/rpmdrake will no longer be able to install from your DVD. By the same token, there is no need to add an ftp main source, unless you want to have to download everything you could, otherwise, get off the DVD.

PLF, free and non-free, contain some very useful programs, also, including some that are not included in Mandriva because they are not OpenSource but, such as some dvd libraries and Windows codecs, help view certain multimedia.

See man urpmq

man urpmi.addmedia

etc.

The urpmi database for the rpms on the DVD are contained in media/media_info in the hdlist.cz or synthesis.hdlist.cz file(s). I've got the CD contents on my hard drive, so the top level is a partition, not the CD and it looks like this on my machine:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ ls /mnt/hd/media/media_info
compss            hdlist7.cz  pubkey3                synthesis.hdlist2.cz
compssUsers.pl    hdlist8.cz  pubkey4                synthesis.hdlist3.cz
depslist.ordered  hdlist9.cz  pubkey5                synthesis.hdlist4.cz
hdlist10.cz       hdlists     pubkey6                synthesis.hdlist5.cz
hdlist11.cz       MD5SUM      pubkey7                synthesis.hdlist6.cz
hdlist1.cz        media.cfg   pubkey8                synthesis.hdlist7.cz
hdlist2.cz        provides    pubkey9                synthesis.hdlist8.cz
hdlist3.cz        pubkey1     rpmsrate               synthesis.hdlist9.cz
hdlist4.cz        pubkey10    synthesis.hdlist10.cz
hdlist5.cz        pubkey11    synthesis.hdlist11.cz
hdlist6.cz        pubkey2     synthesis.hdlist1.cz

This is from the 2005 LE CDs and the directory structure for the install tree has changed recently, so, if you have an older version of Mandriva, it might look different.

The hdlist contains more information about each rpm, such as a list of files and a Changelog of the history of development of the package, so it is much bigger. When you choose 'Maximum Information' in the Software Installation module, this file is used and takes more bandwidth to download over the network. The synthesis.hdlist might be better for modem users and is what is used when 'Normal Information' is selected in rpmdrake.

Anyway, when you issue a command to install a package with urpmi on the command line or choose to install it in rpmdrake, urpmi will know where the package is, know if any dependencies are needed, prompt to install the dependencies, tell you what disk to put in the reader, and install the package(s). So, no, the DVD doesn't need to be in the drive to issue the command but, if the rpm is on it, you will be prompted to put it in.

When I say something like man urpmi that means to type man urpmi in a console (Menu > System > Terminals) and press Enter to read the manual page for that program/command. Use the arrow keys to scroll the page and press q to quit the manual. There are manual pages for most commands and some configuration files and it is a primary means for learning about your operating system.

smiley, regarding your tars i'm 99/100 sure they are binaries. check the names of the files in the extracted tars. you may want to look over a book such as "running linux" (from o'reilly by welsh et al) as a way of familiarzing you to how linux does things. also "linux in a nutshell" (also from o'reilly) has a good listing of most linux commands, but nothing beats the man pages even though they are often not written well. tars are archives (from tape archive), a way of putting together a number of files in one "archive". they may or may not be compressed, hence the .gz. actually there are a number of compression options in linux. you can simply uncompress using the gunzip command and you are then left with an uncompressed archive. then you have to extract and then have the separate files to work with. if you have the source for the program you should see the files needed to compile along with the README which you should always read before compiling as it has the information needed for successful compilation. i would recommend that you stay away from compiling from source until you are more familiar with how linux sets things up. hope this is helpful, good luck.

• 1 month later...
Be sure to run ./configure inside the new directory, of each folder.

bison is a "depend". You need to download it and install it first before you can configure and install evolution. Welcome to tarballs! :lol: Use rpmfind.net to locate the correct version of the file. If you look at the output, it should give you the requirements. Look out! bison might in turn have some depends.

You do not need to make an rpm. Simply run "make$$make install" after configure runs without errors.

I dont feel so bad now. Like some have said above , it gradually gets easier to configure and install from tarballs. I used to manage getting zero to work, then one or two simple ones. Now -and often by accident- i manage to do the right things with the right spelling in the right order and voila!... I still think its half the fun of linux...but dont quote that back at me when im ranting over my latest screwup. The best thing about configuring and installing packages is how good you feel when you stop. When you stop, and it worked... Im keyboard oriented and just discovered cutting and pasting works on command line for all those long path and package names (in addition to tab complete) which I guess ages me somewhat compared to a generation raised on mice. Or is it by mice :P ? Hang in there...