Gnome or KDE [solved]

WoMBaT

As bvc said, only you can decide which is best. I say install them both, use them both and then pick one. Noone here can tell you which will suit you best.

I tried them both (as well as a few others) and settled on Gnome - after using fluxbox for a while, just for fun.

I've tried KDE now and then over the years and always gone straight back to Gnome.

I don't think KDE is crap though - just not for me.

kde

But none of the wm and desktops are "crap." I actually use diferent ones in different distros. I am waiting on e17 to be complete. (Don't hold your breath)

Boooo! Booooo! Get him off the stage!!! *Throws rotten tomatoes*

Gnome users are insecure. Deep down they know KDE is better. They just can bring themselves to admit it. That's why they throw rotten tomatoes instead.

:thanks::banana::thanks:

:P

Guest Adriano1
[...]I really don't like KDE, but i do like some of the applications but there is a reason why i don't even have kdelibs installed. That is bloat, if i want to use let's say amarok, i need to install the kdelibs to use it, but why do i need all this useless junk? Like cups? I don't even have a printer in my house why the hell would i need cups, amongst other useless stuff like arts. (you can compile kdelibs without arts though, but not cups

Well, The opposite of that situation are statically compiled binaries and libraries, which amount to even more cruft. Google for "static vs dynamical libraries", should turn up the whys and wherefores of each. I personally prefer having a functional system. If that means installing libraries, I'll do it. If I don't use them, they sit on the harddisk. At most, I have to update them. Better to update kdelibs (small) that all the statically compiled binaries that include it just because I didn't want it on my system.

i prefer the kde. so much stuff is automatic. it is without a doubt my preference for a windows replacement.

i do however use fluxbox on the machines that are lesser powered or that i want all the processing power to the app instead of the desktop.

kde (esp. the new one) does alot of stuff very easily and nicely for you. it's quick and pretty speedy with the ability to do lots and lots with anything pretty. i love transparency.

the real truth is that i don't like the interface for gnome. and there's no "this one is better than that one" but for me, it works best.

I prefer gnome, mainly because I like the available themes better, as well as the overall layout. I dislike KDE because it feels too windows-like, and I was never a fan of windows :-P

As far as what I specifically dislike about KDE: I have a problem with QT. In my opinion it's a sloppy toolkit, and requires more of the system than GTK, but maybe thats just me.