Gnome or KDE [solved]

WoMBaT

Okay, all you experienced linux users. What are the pros and cons of using either Gnome or KDE? I have fiddled with each and trying to decide which to use. I do like the gDesklets in Gnome...but am trying to rid myself of panels and use something like kxdocker to mimic OSX. This very well may diverge into a "show me your desktop" topic...so sorry in advance.

Also...how do you take a screenshot of your desktop?

WoMBaT

benefits can only be determined by the user benefiting

apps from either can be run from either so.....

concerning eyecandy....same thing

whatever you like.....they have a diff look and feel and diff management of it

run these from the run dialog for screenies (you'll need imagemagick installed)

(written by iphitus)

http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/docs/info.txt

(written by cybrjackle)

http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/docs/sysinfo.txt

In gnome, just run "gnome-panel-screenshot".

I really don't like KDE, but i do like some of the applications but there is a reason why i don't even have kdelibs installed. That is bloat, if i want to use let's say amarok, i need to install the kdelibs to use it, but why do i need all this useless junk? Like cups? I don't even have a printer in my house why the hell would i need cups, amongst other useless stuff like arts. (you can compile kdelibs without arts though, but not cups)

I find the KDE interface as a whole, very sluggish and resembles windows. I remember when i tried kubuntu out just too see if KDE had improved at all, after going idle for a couple of hours i come back to a "windows" like state, you know how in windows if you go idle and come back it's all slow and laggy? Well kde was the same, i looked at the system monitor thingy for kde. 1GB/1GB ram used 1.7GB/2.GB swap was used aswell, after that i went straight back to gnome. I prefer gnome for it's "Clean" look and i find it very stable. I also can't live without nautilus.

I try to keep away from the KDE & Gnome debates, but i can't help it. I really hate kde with a passion but i do admit amarok and k3b are superior applications.

In this day and age of huge hd's and GB ram, bloat is irrelevant for most people IMO. After 1/2 day of running, you use the same resources whether you are using fluxbox or gnome, so why use flux and have to config so much? ;)

It's no secret I'm a gnomer. I used to switch back and forth. Now, KDE and its libs, hasn't been installed in over a year, and I don't miss it, but then I can burn from cli if I want to and most users understandably want k3b because it is excellent app.

Gnome can be as much a resource hog as KDE.

Out of the box

Gnome is simple/clean

KDE is complex (a lot of choices) which can be good or bad depending on the users needs.

like I said...whatever floats your boat

the benefits of each: they work and will help you getting your stuff done.

it is really a matter of tastes, nothing more and nothing less. kde and gnome are both ram-eating monsters for those users who prefer lots of graphical goodies. for the other ones, there is fluxbox, icewm and other lightweight solutions.

the only way to find out which one is more suited to your needs is to use kde exclusively for e.g. one month and then use gnome exclusively for one month. then you can (hopefully) decide which one is your favourite. ;)

the benefits of each: they work and will help you getting your stuff done.

it is really a matter of tastes, nothing more and nothing less. kde and gnome are both ram-eating monsters for those users who prefer lots of graphical goodies. for the other ones, there is fluxbox, icewm and other lightweight solutions.

the only way to find out which one is more suited to your needs is to use kde exclusively for e.g. one month and then use gnome exclusively for one month. then you can (hopefully) decide which one is your favourite. ;)

There is a problem with fluxbox, xfce and all these light window managers, you can't use gnome or kde apps, well you can but there will be no speed increase, i've tried this with the lighter window managers and it doesn't work well, but if you can sacrifice those good gnome and KDE applications then i guess i can see the benifit of a lighter window manager. If your loading up the libs to use the applications, you might aswell use gnome or KDE.

I really like xfce4 since it has a really good feel when using it, but i use mostly gnome apps anyway so i just went back to gnome. It just really annoys me how you have to install a bunch of useless stuff just to get a kde application running, why do i need cups and arts when im building amarok without arts support? ;)

You CAN use Gnome and KDE apps under XFCE4! You just must configure it running Gnome and KDE services, which is not difficult at all.

Yes i know that but what i mean is. >>>

xfce and all these light window managers, you can't use gnome or kde apps, well you can but there will be no speed increase

I just think it's a bad idea using something like xfce if your going to mostly use gnome/kde apps. Since not only will it take longer to launch them it will probably use more memory aswell. I was awake all night, blame that for the confusing posts.

i disagree with you, lowe. i always found every gnome and kde application launching faster in icewm than in gnome or kde.

nonetheless, i am a gnome-freak :)