nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX

Jet2k5

So from looking around at other forums this is the elite card :). A lot of peopl like it, but a lot of people are running AGP.

I can't seem to find that much on linux and pci-express. How good is the support? Also would I need to find custom little hacks for xorg.conf to make it work? Since a lot of the " Option " you can put in xorg to enhance the video performance is sort of aimed at AGP. What would I need to change for PCI-Express.

I have the money to buy this card. But I'm so temped not to buy it. It's a lot of money for my first system. I don't exactly make this kind of money. I'm thinking about sticking to a 6800GT if all an Ultra. I'm going to spen the money on the CPU and that's all :).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nvm mind what I said. I've been waiting for a new computer for almost a year already. I think I'm going to just wait the month. Work my butt off and then get the card. This should be a good dicipline for me. Learning to hold on , and the end result is breath taking. Which is going to be my responce when I open up the box with the 7800GTx lol

You could always slowly buy the other parts. this would give you a chance to start looking at things and seeing how they fit together, and also will keep you from being overwhelmed when everything arrives at once.

Also, make sure you have non-magnetic tools and an anti-static wristband! A toolkit such as this one (out of stock, ETA of Thursday) should do the trick. I know, it's an extra $31 but you'll be thankful.

Edited by tyme

Thanks tyme! I thought about it and it seems good. I would like right now just to build a basic computer , like I was planning from the beginning. Simple AMD 64-bit 3000+ etc etc ... Not going big just nice :). So can I start counting down? 1 week left?!?

Hey... sorry to go a bit OT, but can anyone quickly tell me what a AMD 64-bit, 3200+ (2.0Ghz, socket 939) translates to in 'Intel' values? I currently have an Intel PIV 2.4Ghz, this AMD should be much faster than that, no?

Thanks tyme!  I thought about it and it seems good.  I would like right now just to build a basic computer , like I was planning from the beginning.  Simple AMD 64-bit 3000+ etc etc ... Not going big just nice :).  So can I start counting down?  1 week left?!?

Good question Darkelve. There is a bench mark in that one website that shows that. I think if I remember correctly a Pentium D was just about the only Intel processor for home PC's that could out do an AMD 64-bit 3000+.

To be sure I will have to ask cybrjackle to check this out, as he is the one that gave me the link and he should know more about it :).

*EDIT*

I think this might help you, the one I had had pretty color graphs to compare them, but this one is just a chart.

Click Here

Edited by Jet2k5

In theory, for Athlon 64. The AMD rating is about equivalent to the GHz rating in P4. Hence an Athlon 64 3200+ will be similar to a P4 3.2 GHz in terms of performance. There will be some things that Intel will win (such as multi-threaded applications [due to Hyper-threading mostly] and media encoding) and some that AMD will win (games, compiling, compression).

However, in real life, the picture is fuzzier according to core of the CPU, other components, whether it is overclocked or not, etc, etc, etc. Right now, it is widely agreed that AMD Athlon 64 brings the best bang for the buck in terms of performance, price, power drain, and cooling.

So I can estimate a AMD 64 3200+ at roughly 3.2Ghz, right?

In theory, for Athlon 64. The AMD rating is about equivalent to the GHz rating in P4. Hence an Athlon 64 3200+ will be similar to a P4 3.2 GHz in terms of performance. There will be some things that Intel will win (such as multi-threaded applications [due to Hyper-threading mostly] and media encoding) and some that AMD will win (games, compiling, compression).

However, in real life, the picture is fuzzier according to core of the CPU, other components, whether it is overclocked or not, etc, etc, etc. Right now, it is widely agreed that AMD Athlon 64 brings the best bang for the buck in terms of performance, price, power drain, and cooling.

No, I am not kidding about my statement. Look at this graph from anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=7

Although the Pentium M is highlighted, as you can see in games, that Athlon 64 3200+ is in between P4 3.4 and 3.6 ghz in Wolfenstein, and even higher in Doom 3

Also see this graph http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=2

In Half-Life 2, A64 3200+ beats even P4 3.8 GHz.

Now you can see that I am being conservative in my estimate in terms of AMD's gaming prowess

Edited by DragonMage

Having once bought a top of the line card I can tell you you'll feel pretty down when a new "better" card comes out a couple months down the line!

I'd maybe buy a mid-level card, then plan on buying another mid-level card six months to a year later - rinse and repeat.