nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX

Jet2k5

So .. once again this is one of my questions about parts of computers. As some of you know I'm hoping to build a computer in about 2 weeks, but I've decided to hold off and save money until the end of the month which should rack in a good 1500 dollars total.

With so much money, what would you guys upgrade? I gave this a thought and I went for the things that run a computer such as the Processor. I went from an AMD64 3000+ to an AMD64 3500+. Keep in mind that this is a computer for nothing but gaming. I was tempted to get a 250GB hard-drive but Linux is going to be the only OS on it, and Cedega doesn't really support most of the games that I like. I'm not installing windows no matter what.

So here is the question. I have the money to buy the 7800GTX , which is the top of the line video card right now. But what are the advantages, disadvantages? From googling around a lot of people say that this card is way to far ahead of gaming. That there really isn't any game out there to take full advantage of what this card has packed under its hood. If that is true that means that it will be quite a while for a game to come out that can use this to the max.

If I were to get this card, this card ( according to nVIDIAs release cycle ) should be good for a good 3 years I'm guessing. After the 6800 series came out, there was no release of another series for another 14 months. So I can only guess that this could be the same for 8800GTX ( if that is what they plan on calling it ).

To top things off this is a big video card. This thing right now is the Almighty of video cards. So can you guys point out the pros and cons? Also if you had an extra 500 some odd dollars what would you upgrade? Hard-drives, CPU, RAM, Case , Monitor etc etc ...

Thanks,

Luis

( hurricane dodger, 1 down 10+ to go )

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If think you're actually going to play games that make use of the power of this card, like TES IV: Oblivion, I say go for it! The reviews are pretty clear about it: it is the best card of this moment.

However, if you only use it to play solitaire and Tuxracer, it might be a bit pointless.

Edited by Darkelve

Games are going to be such like Doom3, and then Battlefield 2. Much more games that are new to the scene. Older games I will play would be something like Medal of honor all the 3 expension packs. Call of duty, Starcraft. And some others that I can't name of the top of my head.

I'm hoping to stay linux only on the computer. But if Battlefield 2 is not playable n Linux by the time I build this computer I'm going to have to buy 64-bit windows.

Well with that card you'll be able to play most games at the very maximum setting, or at least VERY close to that maximum. I saw a good review last week but I forgot where I found it...

Ah wait! http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451

That's the one.

Games are going to be such like Doom3, and then Battlefield 2.  Much more games that are new to the scene.  Older games I will play would be something like Medal of honor all the 3 expension packs.  Call of duty, Starcraft.  And some others that I can't name of the top of my head.

I'm hoping to stay linux only on the computer.  But if Battlefield 2 is not playable n Linux by the time I build this computer I'm going to have to buy 64-bit windows.

But the point I was making is .. Is it a good card or a bad card to have? I was sorta asking for the pros and cons of it. Which some of the reviews point out

Lol I forgot about that! But what will these mean? I won't be able to get updates for it? Or viruse blockers? j/k I've looked down that road ...

IIRC, illegaly activities such as pirating windows are not to be discussed on this board.

But not being a mod anymore, I could be wrong...

Either way, as I said in #musb, if you have the money buy it! Those cards make me drool...I wish I had the money to get one. Would make EQII oh so perty.

Edited by tyme

lol thanks tyme :P

Although I would have to save until the end of the month, and maybe a few weeks into August I'm sure the end result will be one of the happiest moments of my life :) . On the other hand Cedega needs to hurry up on making BF2 playable on Linux.

Counting down .. I can't wait! arhrhghgharr :furious3:

Edited by Jet2k5

If you have the money, I say.. YES!!!

I mean look at the newest Anandtech's benchmark in Battlefield 2. Running that game at high resolution with everything turned on works really great in 7800GTX.

Of course, you could wait a little bit and find a more affordable version of the Nvidia 7xxx series. By the time it is released, BF2 will be playable in Linux.

Hope so DM. I'm looking at about a month maybe a little over 5 weeks to get the money and buy the computer. I hope that battlefield 2 and Linux play nice. Since it's the hottest game out there I think cedega developers might be working extra hard on it, or atleast that is what I tell myself.

With the extra money that I'm going to save up I should be able to upgrade the CPU to the 3500+ series. I'm going to make yet another thread in a while. I'm trying to learn a crapload about what to look for in Motherboards. I still don't really understand them, just know what Hdd controllers they support, what slots it has and how much ram etc etc ... I still feel like I'm missing something.