grip and lame

angst

Hi all,

I have installed grip and lame but if I run grip as user it complains about not finding the encoder.

Invalid encoder executable. Check your encoder config, and ensure it specifies the full path to the encoder executable.

I have the full path to the lame executable in the configuration and it all works perfectly fine if I run grip as root. In fact I ripped and encoded my whole CD collection as root because I couldn't find a solution to the above problem after a quick search.

Its not a big problem. Just something I would like to fix.

Thanks.

How did you install grip and lame? Did you use Mandriva packages and urpmi?

Yes indeed. Installed with urpmi.

Grip is version: 3.3.0-2mdk

lame is version: 3.96.1-1plf

This is on Mandiriva 10.2.

Just want to add that lame works from the command line as a normal user just fine. Just won't work with grip unless grip is run as root.

Thanks.

So the problem is with the ripping and not with the encoding. Check the user right of the cdrom (/dev/hdx where x is the letter of your drive). Or run k3bsetup. That will set the acces rights for you. :)

Ripping works just fine when grip is started as a normal user and I select 'rip only'. If I select 'rip + encode' (as user) is when grip complains about the encoder executable. I have used k3b without any access problems.

Did you check the permissions of the lame executable?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 392568 Jul 26 2004 lame*