EXPERIMENTAL kernel with supermount fix

From the mandrake cooker mailing list, there seems to be an experimental kernel out for mandrake 9.0 that supposedly fix the supermount problems. The files can be found here

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela/updates/9.0/

I tried the kernel and it seems to be ok so far.. but I have to make a disclaimer that if it breaks your system, don't blame me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this news myself at:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=4414

Was wondering if this may be the solution to the problem I ran into last night. You push the button to eject the cd, but you don't get the chance to grab the cd because it is sucked right back in?

And is it as easy to install as rolf suggested there? (rpm ivh kernel and then reinstall your video and audio rpm's and then just tidy up your boot config.)

Any other brave souls out there ready to test drive this and let us more timid ones know if supermount is really fixed and that it works?

thanks

Any other brave souls out there ready to test drive this and let us more timid ones know if supermount is really fixed and that it works?

BAM I'm on it. I have a box here at work just for testing this kind of thing. be back in a few hours.

Cool ez, I look forward to your report.

And seeing DragonMage had a favorable report so quickly, I grabbed my copies before the rush and am ready to roll.

One thing tho, I noticed there was no kernel-headers, which along with kernel-source, are installed here. Was this renamed or am I confused again?

Cool ez, I look forward to your report.

And seeing DragonMage had a favorable report so quickly, I grabbed my copies before the rush and am ready to roll.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there.. I tell you that I have no problem with the kernel from the link I gave you (it marked -23) but the kernel the update version is marked -24. A newer kernel than the one I gave you.

Anyway, I just tried installed the newest (-24), I'll let you know the result of my test (listening to 1 hour worth of mp3 from my cdrom).

UPDATE:

Ok, this is the result of my own test. It works, 2 hours of mp3 without any problems. It used to be that it cannot read any more tracks after about 20 minutes, prompting me to eject and putting it back again. Now, it works fine.

Thanks DragonMage. I had downloaded the -23 version from the site you had posted, not even given it any thought that there may have been two brand new versions out there. I then went to the Penn State mirror and grabbed the -24 version. So now I am ready to "ezroll" when somebody seconds the good news. And I am in no hurry to rush into this, I have lived with it this long - without really knowing about the problem, since I did't use my cd drive too much in Linux.