WarCraft III CD not detected

javaguy

What it says, with Mandrake 10.1. I think I've tried to figure this one out before.

Here's my drive info:

$ l -la /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx 2 javaguy disk 3 Feb 26 09:04 /dev/cdrom -> hdd

$ l -la /dev/hdd

brwxrwxrwx 1 javaguy disk 22, 64 Feb 26 03:15 /dev/hdd

...and also, just in case it's relevant...

$ l -la /dev/scd0

lrwxrwxrwx 2 javaguy disk 3 Feb 26 09:04 /dev/scd0 -> hdd

Been playing WoW a lot, and it's got me nostalgic for War3. Smile Now if I can just get it to work...

Oh, I'm launching using Point2Play, if that matters.

Thanks!

Well, I hadn't tried that, but now I have. Same result, though. :(

And here's something else wierd. After I tried that I looked at the permissions for /dev/hdd, and they had changed back to brw-rw----. WTF?

I did a chmod to make them brwxrwxrwx again and tried again, still with the same result, but it looks like something is playing with my device permissions. Is this a Mandrake 10.1 behavior? 'Cause I do not like it.

Can you actually see any files on the CD? If so have to tried to copy all the CD to your hard-disc, I did that with Wow to get it installed.

Edit: Try to install other version of Cedega via P2P and see if it make any changes. Though it can be a Madriva problem though.

Yes, I can see all the CD files on /mnt/cdrom.

I've tried configuring p2p for different Cedega versions, with no luck. The game installed okay. I'm willing to try copying the CD in its entirety, but will that really "look like" the CD to the W3 client?

Thanks again,

Sam

Well, it's not the most elegant solution, but what about using a No-CD crack? I used one for a while with Cedega and Warcraft 3, just because I got sick of having to find the CD everytime I wanted to play. If you bought the game, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed to use a No-CD crack.

Can you point me to one that works? I found one by "Amir Warez" that said to copy the entire CD into a folder and replace the install.exe with his. I ran it, and it seemed to work, brought up the install thingy, showed the license agreement, and when I clicked Agree it just went back to the install window and didn't install. I tried clicking Disagree too, to no avail. I'm a little wary of downloading cracks anyway, so any advice on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try those evils feckers over at http://www.astalavista.box.sk/

You'll have to make sure you have popup blocking on - otherwise they're going to spawn pr0n popups all over your desktop, other than that it is still the best source for cracks.

NB - We are discussing cracks in this thread in an attempt to help a user with a LEGAL COPY of Warcraft 3 to get it to run. No other use of cracks can be viewed as acceptable and we are not encouraging the use of cracks in pirating software.