Arch freezing

Just installed arch using another keyboard, but i'm running into a little bit of trouble. For some reason all gtk2 apps are crashing, so i can't use gnome, gaim or anything, i need to post this on icewm. So does anyone have any idea why gtk2 apps are crashing? Oh and it's not just a odd time, they completely crash after about 5 secs. gtk1 apps are working fine though.

Yep, everything is upto date. This is quite frustrating, i also noticed actual gnome apps like gedit, nautilus will not work, stuff like gaim will work but die shortly after. I really like arch so far, so i'd like to get this problem fixed, maybe i'll post in the arch forums. Also firefox seems to crash too, when i start it from a xterm i get a message

firefox-bin:8597): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG)

Not sure if that's related.

Dunno, but I do use Arch stock Firefox as my main browser for ages, and it never, ever crashed on me!

Just one question, which may or may not be of any significance:

When installing Arch for the first time, did you pick devfs and udev, or just udev? (I have been omitting devfs since more than six months ago, since udev does tha same thing and it will not go obsolete anytime soon- while devfs is singing its death song).

Also- is your X configuration intact? Normally, instead of configuring X by the convetional means ( xorgconfig ) you may have better luck by:

pacman -S hwd

hwd -x

That will leave a good (almost working right out of the box) xserver configuration.

Ok i know what the problem is, but i don't know how to fix it.

Ok here is the deal, when i start my computer dhcpcd isn't started, so i launch a few gnome apps and they work! As soon as i start dhcpcd they die and wont start again, so i stop dhcpcd and they start again. Not sure how to fix it though.

EDIT: Fixed it, had to edit the network settings in /etc/rc.conf i followed the wiki and bam all the problems are now gone! thanks for your help. :banana:

Edited by Lowe

Yeah, i left that out the first time i guess that was the problem. I was jumping from distro to distro and the only one i hadn't really tried was arch, due to the keyboard problem. I used a different keyboard for the installation, once i upgraded everything i plugged in the usb keyboard and it works fine now. I really like what i see though, arch could be the distro i've been looking for.

Thumbs up for arch. :)