setserial and crashed KDE

Hello Guys,

The command "setserial" dont work in 10.1 official says some guys in LinuxQuestions.Org. Is that right??????

They say you need to install a rpm package?

Secondly my KDE have crashed. Even after reboot it do not load.

Kan I run the upgrade and get it repaired???

If yes howto???? or

how can I get it back to work??????

I am close to get my mwave modem to work and am exited

so please any advice will be appreciated.

if your kde crashed, boot into a command-line (cli). now from the cli, type "startx". are there any error messages you get?

now log in as root from the cli and run XFdrake and set up your graphics. exit and try "startx" again. if it works, your system is functional again.

i will have to check on the setserial command, but i can hardly believe it.

Hi Arne,

CLI is like a terminal session you open up, like a DOS prompt if you will. If kde won't start, and you don't get a command line, or prompt to login:

login:

then what you could do is boot failsafe, which will go straight to a prompt. You can then login, type su and supply root password, which will then enable you to remove this file that might be stopping you running kde.

To do this, after you've typed su and supplied root password, type the following:

cd /tmp
rm .XO-lock (it will be case-sensitive, press enter after)

you should be prompted on whether you want to delete this, say yes. Then see if rebooting helps you get into kde. Just type reboot at the prompt.

Hope that helps!

cli = command line interface. it is "similar" to the famous dos-prompt and can be started using a terminal like xterm, konsole etc or when you boot into your system and only into a non graphical user insterface environment. e.g. you boot into init3 in failsafe mode, then your will only get the typical command line from where you can run all terminal commands like startx, XFdrake, rpm, ls, cat, ...

init 5 will start gui's like kde or gnome automatically (= execute the startx command)

edit: ian, you are too fast! :lol:

Hi Arne,

I use 10.1 OE and I've just checked, yes you need to install, as it's not there by default.

Go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software, select the "All" option and then search for setserial or you can do it nice and simple with:

urpmi setserial

Does that enable it to work?