Please help me with k3b [solved]

Sunsela

Hi,

On LE2005 whenever the k3b(0.11.20-7) icon is clicked Adobe Reader opens. Clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of Adobe several times finally closes it and k3b opens. This is as a normal user and the same thing happens using the command line. There are no error messages.

This does not happen as root.

On Mandriva 10.1, kprinter would open when clicking on the k3b icon.

What is causing this?

Please, help me solve this.

Thank you,

Sunsela

I'm not at a linux machine at the moment, but there is an option for one of the following:

configure

settings

properties

One of those will do it. As a general rule, they are interchangable terms on modern computers.

Properties --> Application --> then what?

What goes in each of the following?

Description?

Comment?

Command?

Work path?

Support file types?

Thanks,

Sunsela

P.S. Clicking Settings --> Configure k3b -->Programs --> Search path --> Search opens guess what? Adobe Reader

pmpatrick,

The error messages:

libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_dbus_socket: No such file or directory

k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.

k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.

What does this mean?

If this pertains to HAL, since installation of LE2005 (recently), there have been FAILED messages when the computer is shutdown.

Thanks,

Sunsela

Hal is the new system for automounting removable media and stands for hardware abstraction layer. You can try disabling the hal daemon and see if it has any effect on k3b by going into mandrake control center>system>enable or disable system services and stopping the haldaemon.

I don't see how that could be starting acroread however. I'd also try uninstalling the adobe reader and see what effect that has and then reinstalling it. I can tell you I have the adobe reader 7 installed on my system(LE2005) and it doesn't effect k3b at all.

[snip]

I'd also try uninstalling the adobe reader and see what effect that has and then reinstalling it. I can tell you I have the adobe reader 7 installed on my system(LE2005) and it doesn't effect k3b at all.

pmpatrick,

Thanks for your reply and assistance.

Once Adobe Reader 7 was uninstalled, k3b opened without any problems. Reinstalling Adobe caused the same thing to happen.

I use Adobe more than k3b so at this point they'll both be installed and I'll either run k3b as root or just deal with Adobe opening up four times and then k3b.

From Mandrake Linux 9.0 to 10, everything has always worked fine on my system. Between 10.1 and LE2005, there have been little annoying problems like, no sound, this k3b/adobe issue, and clicking on links in Konqueror open Firefox.

I don't know enough about Linux to do anything to cause these things to happen. Researching, posting to forums, and generally tracking down the solutions, workarounds, quick fixes etc... can be very time consuming and frustrating to say the least. It also cuts down on productivity.

With the assistance of people like yourself, I am learning more about Linux. :thanks: , :thanks: , :thanks:

Sunsela