Installing and Configuring 100dpi fonts

ianw1974

First, this is not all my own work. This information has come from a few posts on this forum, some of which I was involved in myself, but have decided to pool it together in a "Tips and Tricks" topic.

Acknowledgements for this go to:

coverup

daniewicz

phantom

from the various posts:

coverup - https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...hl=100dpi+fonts

daniewicz and phantom - https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...&hl=DisplaySize

coverup for the ordering of items within /etc/X11/fs/config file

daniewicz for the DisplaySize setting for xorg.conf

phantom for the screen resolution calculation

OK, now let's move on to the main part of this. I have listed effectively what needs to be done. All the editing of files in this tip has been done using vi or vim from the terminal or CLI if you will. For example, in Part 2 you have to edit /etc/X11/fs/config, you will type:

vi config

whilst sat in /etc/X11/fs

Please note, that for editing the files you need to be in superuser mode. To obtain this, type the following at the command prompt.

su (and press enter)
<supply root password> (and press enter)

then continue using the vi or vim command to edit the files. If you are unfamiliar with vi/vim, the commands you're most likely to use are:

i - to insert/modify text

esc - to exit the editing mode

:w - to save the file

:q - to quit

Part 1:

First off, you need to make sure you have the 100dpi fonts installed. In Mandrake 10.1 and higher, it's called xorg-x11-100dpi (or similar wording). If you have 10.0, it's most likely to be xfree86-x11-100dpi or something along those lines.

Part 2:

After this has been installed, we can now look at making a few changes to get everything working. It will still run at 75dpi unless you tell it to. First, the fonts have to be loaded in a particular order.

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config and you'll most likely find that the following lines are as follows:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,

These lines may be separated by other lines, this is fine. However, the lines need to appear like this:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,

This is so that it loads in the correct order, ie: 100dpi before 75dpi. If 75dpi is listed first, then it will load these first.

Now you need to edit the following line:

default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100

This is the same, it has to look like this:

default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75

This is because it will load the resolution in what it finds first. Now, save the file, this part is done.

Part3:

Now we need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In here, there is a section as follows:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Generic"
ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 40-70
DisplaySize 260 195

You will be missing the important line "DisplaySize". The parameters here differ, from screen resolution to screen resolution. The values above are for 1024x768. How I know this, is because you need to work it out with a screen calculation. This calculation is:

Screensize multiplied by 25.4 and divided by 100 (eg: 1024 x 25.4/100 = 260 and 768 x 25.4/100 = 195)

Each of the numbers are rounded down. You cannot put numbers with the decimal places, else it won't work. To check and test that you have it configured correctly, there is a command that allows you to check it's configured perfectly. You need to reboot first however before you run this, otherwise it will report your current setup. Below is an example:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 100x100 dots per inch

and now you have 100dpi fonts.

Can't say I've used nano myself (wasn't aware of it). I tended only to use vi/vim as I knew of it, but sure, any text editor would suffice for amending any of the files mentioned above. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't need msfonts on my install of Mandriva 2006. Or even I don't remember installing it when I used Mandrake 10.1 either. And it doesn't exist in the Mandriva 2006 repositories either :o so not sure how you'd install it!!! Unless you're not using Mandriva 2006 ;)

libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-devel already exist on my system :P

libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-devel already exist on my system tongue.gif

Must ben version libfreetype6-2.1.10-8plf.i586.rpm but you must recompile this library.

If you have a Windows

Never ......Lex

Mine are from official repositories, not plf, maybe this is why you have the problem:

[ian@esprit ~]$ rpm -qa |grep libfreetype
libfreetype6-2.1.10-9.3.20060mdk
libfreetype6-devel-2.1.10-9.3.20060mdk

notice the lack of plf in the filename. Must have come from main, contrib or updates.

It's fine.

I have this library from my Mandriba 2006 Official on 3xDVD, but after instalation and update as default:

rpm -qa | grep libfreetype

libfreetype6-2.1.10-12.mdk2006.0.mde

libfreetype6-devel-2.1.10-12.mdk2006.0.mde

Now

rpm -e --nodeps libfreetype6-2.1.10-12.mdk2006.0.mde libfreetype6-devel-2.1.10-12.mdk2006.0.mde

rpm -i --nodeps ibfreetype6-2.1.10-8plf.i586.rpm libfreetype6-devel-2.1.10-8plf.i586.rpm

This is Konqueror, fons - Verdana

100dpi.png

.....Lex